Logo

Volvo penta stern drive

M

mike fos

"taking a nice cruise around l

"taking a nice cruise around lake speed up for about 10 seconds and lose all drive power. Engine runs perfect, no foward or reverse. Quite sure I didn't hit anything. Help"

Please post your engine and ou

Please post your engine and outdrive model.

A. You spun the hub on your propeller. Verify this by marking the hub and the propeller.

B. The shifting linkage on the drive fell off or is badly out of adjustment. Pull the access cover and verify the cable is attached to the shifting plate.

C. The cone clutch is badly glazed and is not engaging (unlikely since you have no forward and reverse).

"Eng. 5.7GS Outdrive SX Cobra

"Eng. 5.7GS Outdrive SX Cobra
the larson dealer winterized last fall. Also repaired a issue with water in the bellows. After posting I pulled dip stick on drive unit there was nothing on the stick,nothing...do you have any advice?
Thanks for your interest."

"Remove the drain plug from th

"Remove the drain plug from the lower unit and collect the oil in a clean pan. Once drained carefully inspect the oil. Do you see metal filings? I suspect that the oil will be black, burned from the low quantity.

Next, (engine off) with the boat in neutral rotate your prop clockwise and counterclockwise. Listen for grinding or abnormal resistance to rotation.

Did you verify that your shift linkage is functioning properly? Inspect at both the throttle and outdrive. Good luck."

"larson dealer says main beari

"larson dealer says main bearing siezed, doesn't know why, upper unit is fine, says there was oil in lower unit. so why didn't it show on the stick? $3500 to reapair"

"Hi, I have a 4winns LS 180 Ho

"Hi, I have a 4winns LS 180 Horizon boat. The engine runs but the prop does not in both direction. Please tell me the possible causes."

"Hi Mtrai. I think you'll

"Hi Mtrai. I think you'll get more responses if you start a new thread with your question.

Cheers, Tom"

"Hey Mike Fos...Did the dealer

"Hey Mike Fos...Did the dealer change the leg oil last fall? When you checked the leg oil quantity this year before operations, how was the oil quantity? I'm not sure about your outdrive but the dipstick on my drive only touches the top six or so inches of leg oil. Either you lost oil or it was never there in the first place. Also, very clean oil is difficult to see on the dipstick. However, if you didn't check the oil level after it was serviced it doesn't much matter does it. The dealer's word "seized" congers up visions of overheating due to lack of lubrication."

"I could bore this forum with

"I could bore this forum with stories of sloppy winterizing from dealers and "mysterious" early spring failures that I've seen over the years. Bottom line...its your boat and your dollars.
Trust no one!!!!

Pre first use...AT A MINIMUM, check engine oil, check drive oil (best done on the hard). If FWC, check antifreeze level. Also... pre every use, check oil, and if youhave a strainer on the raw water side, check for veggies and critters...BE VERY careful replacing the cover on the strainer if you remove it. Keep a spare strainer seal handy. Don't be tempted to use or reuse one with nicks or rips..."

I have a volvo penta 290dp thi

I have a volvo penta 290dp thinking on increasing horsepower on my 350. How much horsepower will a 290dp hold? I could use some help.

"Waddy,

Rather than posting

"Waddy,

Rather than posting your problem on someone elses thread, you would get better response by starting a new thread.

Have a great day,

Rob."

Back