Logo

30 overheating terminal damage likely sx drive

paulknights

Contributing Member
"Hi all,
a friend of mine has

"Hi all,
a friend of mine has a 2000 larson 180, it has the 3.0 four cylinder fitted in front of an SX leg. It overheated after a 35mph run. He stopped for 30 mins to let it cool and it started and ran fine back to the marina. I pulled the riser off for him and 3 of the four water passages were blocked solid. So the reason for overheating is found. The riser had a hydrochloric acid bath and is now clear. I have heard a lot of horror stories about how these engine once overheated can start having head issues etc.
Is there anything he should be worried about??
I have little knowlege on these 4cyl engines so any input would be helpfull, its nice to know its not always my wallet getting drained!"

"I would execute a compression

"I would execute a compression test on the engine to ensure the head gasket is not blown. Also check each spark plug for signs.

Worst case, if the engine overheated badly, you can pull the head, have it checked / planed and replace with a new gasket.

Also, I am not a fan of dipping risers. If they are that badly blocked, there is a good chance 'blow through' will occur soon. I don't like taking the chance of pulling water into the engine and risking catastrophic failure for the short money of a riser."

"To be honest Mike, i think it

"To be honest Mike, i think it will be a case of giving the engine engine a good check over as you have said.
Refit the riser and take for a couple of outings to make sure all is OK, and then replace the riser. He has informed me that the riser had to go to the machine shop to remove the pitting and get a flat mating face again so its obviously badly worn anymore.
cheers"

Back