Copied this from another site. May be a few things in here we havn't covered.}

Engine Won't Reach Operating RPM. Check

Fuel condition. Type and Octane possibly old fuel
Propeller pitch or diameter, damaged blades
Restricted fuel pickup tube or anti siphon valve Fuel System Test
Crankcase oil volume, high oil level can cause aerated oil and lifter collapse
Marine growth on hull and outdrive
Wrong gear ratio in outdrive
Restricted carburetor air intake (clogged flame arrestor)
Restricted exhaust system (broken exhaust shutters/flappers) in engine transom shield or drive
Poor cylinder compression Compression Test
Carburetor defective, or wrong type.
Fuel pump pressure and vacuum
Boat overloaded, improperly loaded, or improperly trimmed.
Engine Overheating
Engine timing and ignition system operation
Remote control cables and linkage for proper travel to open throttle plates fully."

"Looking by the pick, the boat

"Looking by the pick, the boat seems rather bow-heavy. Did a Google and came up with this link:
http://flickr.com/photos/fauxwheeler/sets/72157604769240127/
This boat is equipped with a V8 which I guess gives a much better balance in addition to increased power. However I guess Your boat due to the small engine is just plowing the seas.
Try to get rid of wheight in the bow, or move it aft, Then test with the drive in positive trim angle (not all the way down).
The 14 x13 prop You mentioned I belive is a 'pontoon-boat' prop that has no rake and very limited bow lift that may make it even worse.
As the engine has performed on the dyno, I think You may look at other factors than the engine. Part of the valve train noise might possibly be 'overload' from the engine not reaching rpm at full throttle, try to listen to You car up-hill in overdrive, 10 miles and 'pedal to the metal'.
Check the water-line at the pick and compare to Your waterline. My guess is Your 'blue line' is some 5" above the water line minimum at the stern."

When my 5.8's did the same

When my 5.8's did the same thing it was the $15 antishipon valve Chuck mentioned to check above. I replaced carbs etc to no avail until I put in a new valve.

"Morten, would that cause the

"Morten, would that cause the motor to die at higher RPMS. Replaced fuel filter, and water seperator, I had year old gas in it, but have mixed with new gas about 25 gallans have ran thru. (before filter and seperator change)"

"If getting stuck, it limits t

"If getting stuck, it limits the fuel flow. Yes, the engine may run out of fuel at high RPM's."

"Running on a separate tank as

"Running on a separate tank as suggested before will eliminate problems in the boats fuel system, like air-leaks, anti-siphon valve, boat filters etc."

"Could cause it if the symptom

"Could cause it if the symptoms are like fuel starvation. The fuel pump vacuum has to overcome the spring in the valve, if it's cruddy it may not be allowing enough fuel to flow through. Running off a small tank will eliminate the anti-syphon valve, the fuel pickup screen in the tank and the tank air vent as possiblities."

"Ignition timing is a probabil

"Ignition timing is a probability. I see this a lot with replaced engines. If it is off just a few degrees, it will run fine with no load and bog badly when loaded. Check balancer, etc. to assure the timing marks are in the right place and the timing is actually at the designated setting. OH how many times I see mechs fight this problem...
"

"Peter, I just picked up on yo

"Peter, I just picked up on your thread so maybe you have this problem licked. If so, congratulations, but this may still help anyway. We are in the boat repair business and see this happen, even with a solid floor and transom.

The picture of your boat shows it on the trailer with the bow down. Any rain, even with a cover, will run forward and may be saturating the foam in the bow and forward bilge. Keep the tongue of the trailer raised so any water will run out of the transom ( with plug removed for storage).

According to the NADA book your boat should weigh 3150# net, without gas and batteries. Take your rig to a friendly truck stop and weigh the boat and trailer only, disconnected from the vehicle. The next time you launch take the empty trailer back to the truck stop and weigh the trailer. Now calculate what the rig should weight, 3150# plus gas (6.5 #s per gal.), batteries and the trailer weight. Your actual weight should be within about a hundred #s or so of your calculated weight. If it way over, (water weighs 8.33 #s per gal) the foam is saturated and may explain the sluggish performance. This can happen slowly over a long period of time and the foam cannot drain. If not, you have saved tearing up the floor to find nothing wrong and you have piece of mind.

Its easier than it sounds and its good to know. Either way, keep that bow elevated. Also, don't forget the plug when you launch. Good Luck"

i have a 1987 rinker with a 2.

i have a 1987 rinker with a 2.3 and its doing the same thing a sheared the pin on the distibutor and fixed that problem mine runs good until 3/4 throttle and the valves also r making noise to if the points arnt set right will this cause the problem ive spent lots of money and seems im getting nowhere also. where is the spring loaded ball valve on an 87 2.3.

The spring loaded valve (a

The spring loaded valve (aka anti-syphon) is the fitting on the top of the fuel tank that the engine fuel line is attached to. It normally screws into the tank and it has the fuel pickup tube attched to it inside the tank (which could also have crap stuck to screen at the bottom (if it has one)

Have you checked the "Rest

Have you checked the "Restricted exhaust system (broken exhaust shutters/flappers)" suggestion? I've heard that broken shutters can sound like rattling valves.

"IT WORKS AGAIN. I've been

"IT WORKS AGAIN. I've been working on this one boat now for a while trying to figure out what is wrong. It will rev to 3000 rpm than bog down and stall if I don't let off, and sometimes I can't save it. It's Bayliner capri with a 2.3L omc. It now runs perfect, for the people with similar symptoms check your coil. I found out the previous owner has done a major tune up on the engine when the fuel pump went, but he installed a wrong coil. I fixed the fuel pump and was stuck for weeks trying to figure out why it won't rev past 3000rpm. The original coil does not require an exteranl resistor but the new one installed did require it. It says right on the coil if an external resistor is required or not. If your boat doesn't have an external resistor but the coil says it requires one, than there's your problem also. My thought was always the same as everyone elses that not enough gas or air gas mixture and carb. I found out about the coil when I tested for spark at higher rpms and no spark after 3000 rpm."

Back