Logo

Bought a used boat and engine and it died What do you do

aziscohos

"I recently (April) bo

"I recently (April) bought a used boat and 1999 70 hp Johnson engine. The guy I bought it from is a guide and seemed very up front and honest about what he was selling. I bought it "as is" with the understanding that there were some minor maintenance issues with the engine, otherwise it was as he put it "in excellent shape and he never had a problem with it.

I took it to the shop he recommended and fixed the issues that he had pointed out. I put it in the water and 30 minutes later lost power and the check engine light came on. I took it back to the same shop and they opened it up and found that the engine had previous damage due to overheating and needs to be completely rebuilt.

So my question is, do I own the problem or should I pursue him for some compensation even if he did not know about the damage to the engine? What would you do?

Thanks for helping me think this one through.

Az"

"I think leagly 'as is&#34

"I think leagly 'as is" means you bought the problem (cavet empor). If the guy is honest he will make good on it but I think he knew about the problem when he sold it. I read this on another site.

"The sale of goods act says that second hand goods need to stick to the same rules as new ones, though things like the durability may not be expected to be as good, but that they should be as good as any other model of similar age and price."

"It also says that items should match the condition a 'normal person' would understand the advert to mean - not the absolute definition of the words because of things exactly like this where 'recent' is open to interpretation."

You may get some releif from a small claim court due to the fact that there was latent damage he knew about and concieled it from you."

"So you didn't "see&#3

"So you didn't "see" the damage and the repair shop didn't see the damage when they worked on the small problems and didn't find the damage until they opened the unit up?
So how would the previous owner know about it? It sounds like the damage was internal and no one knew about it. Which "other site" did you hear about this on? From the information posted here it is a leap into thin air to state that you think the previous owner knew about it. Which, while we're playing lawyer, is defamation of character, also an actionable claim in court.

Who's to say that the new owner didn't accidentally pick up a plastic bag and overheat the engine during his 30 minute ride? A new owner of a new boat might not even realize it happened and when he backed off at the dock the bag fell off and he doesn't even know he damaged the engine himself.

As is means as is. You may be able to weasel back into the guides wallet with court action but you haven't even told us what he said when you talked to him about the problem. You did talk to him about it before coming here for answers, didn't you?

K"

"K-
I think there is a bit of

"K-
I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. I do think the guy I bought it from is an upstanding guy. I don't think he intentionally sold me an engine that was going to break down 30 minutes later.

I think what Robert was talking about "seeing this on an other site" is the "Sale of Goods Act" that he was talking about.

I have sent the previous owner an email about the engine but have not heard back from him yet. My purpose for posting to this site is to find out how other people would react or have reacted in this situation because I'm sure it has happened before. I'm not looking to take the previous owner to court, I'm the type of guy who does business with an honest word and a handshake.

It is not a good situation any way you look at it which is why advice is always good.

Thanks for taking the time to read and post.
Az"

"I tend to look at things this

"I tend to look at things this way. NOBODY sells a motor that is running perfectly.

Even if they are repowering and their motor has been decently cared for, they are getting rid of it because it doesn't work the way they want it to. Otherwise they would keep and save the thousands of dollars they are chucking for another one.

Sometimes you can take all the precautions (have it checked by a tech) etc and still end up with a basket case of an engine, so because of that you have to factor that into the price WHENEVER you buy used.

Does that mean the engine isn't worth it - maybe not - a new 70 horse may run you 6-10K depending on make/model - a rebuild may run 1-2K, and leave you with pretty much a new engine that could well last 20 years or more - still worth it? only you can decide....

Would I personally be upset if I chucked 3k for the motor and had it die, absolutely, but I wouldn't spend near that on a used motor - 1000-1500 bucks on a "running" motor is probably reasonable, that way when you do have to rebuild it you get a "like new" motor for about 3 grand - that's worth it..."

Excellent advice Graham. It de

Excellent advice Graham. It definitely helps in thinking about how I should proceed with the engine. Thanks for your thoughts.

"Many buyers will accept an en

"Many buyers will accept an engine with simply a turn of the key or a pull of the rewind cord. Hook up some flush kit to the lower unit and the engine runs. AH HA, but maybe not. Engines act totally different under a LOAD and at every chance it is best to test an engine while underway. Engines on idle and neutral gear dont tell you much other than maybe how loud some can be.
I am certainly not an attorney and such a case can vary in many states. I had a similar situation years back purchasing a 90HP Merc Outboard. If the seller knew about the problem and you can prove it and he relayed to you it prolly only needs minor work, you may have a case; and contrary to any catch all "as-is" statement. I would value that cost against just fixing the engine and determine your best route. Best of luck to you."

"Thanks to all for your time a

"Thanks to all for your time and thoughts. I just received estimates to rebuild the engine at $6,700 or a new install at $8,800. The rebuild seems awfully high so I think I'll be looking for a used or last year model. Thanks again! AZ"

"I would try a different shop.

"I would try a different shop. You can buy a totally rebuilt powerhead from a reputable builder, for that model for about 2000 bucks..."

"Hello everyone. I own my Dad&

"Hello everyone. I own my Dad's 1973 22.5 Fiberform, with a 289, and 2 18 gallon tanks. Anyone know what kind of fuel usage I can expect?"

"Ayuh,...

John Wood,....

"Ayuh,...

John Wood,....

Start a New Thread about your Question,....

It'll Never get answered when you tack it onto another person's thread about a Totally Different Question......"

Back