Logo

Oil pump or sender failure

ableseaman

"Hi, Took my 125b out on the l

"Hi, Took my 125b out on the lake and noticed zero or slight show of oil pressure. Ran at low speed ,high speed ,no movement of guage.
Engine did not make unusual noise or overheat.
Aborted trip and jumped wire from sender terminal to ground, showed full oil pressure with ignition on. Removed sender and checked resistance across terminal to ground section. showed 280 (approx.) ohms. My question. Bad sender or (horrible thought) failed oil pump.
Appreciate advice.

Thanks, Ableseaman"

"First off check your oil leve

"First off check your oil level. It is quite uncommon for an oil pump to completely fail. Pull your sending unit and record the resistance with no pressure. Then thread it into a tee block and insert a compressed air line into the other end of the tee. Set the compressed air to 60 psi and pressurize the sending unit. Now record the resistance.

If your oil level is legit and you do not hear any loud clacking when the engine runs, chances are very good that the sending unit is bad."

"Mike and Andrew, I guess I sh

"Mike and Andrew, I guess I should have used forum to discuss above subject. Guage is OK, removed sender and applied compressed air to ground end, Meter showed reduced resistance as more pressure was applied. Sender must be OK. Another possibility, stuck relief valve in oil filter. Trying to talk myself out of a failed oil pump. Thanks for your help, Bob Felter PS Oil is OK on dipstick."

Back