Logo

TAMD61A Problems on 1 trip

lino

"I am posting this for the 3rd

"I am posting this for the 3rd time because I have not found the previous posts.
OK Here it goes again.
Last weekend some friends took me on there boat for a trip and we had noting but problems with this engine and no one to blame but the people that the owners paid to check and repair the boat did bad work.
Anyway some of these problems were minor and the ones that were not I need some input on possible things to look for to repair the problem if I get time to help them out, I am a mechanic but have never worked with these engines.

# 1 The first Problem was an oil leak on the side of the block that was easy just re tightened the fitting and took care of that problem.

# 2 I see what looks like smoke coming out the cracks of the motor compartment covers so I lift the cover to find out it was steam, a hose that comes off the engine and hooks to a pipe that discharges out the back of the boat came off, so I put that back on and on the way we go again.
What this steam is from I don't know, maybe someone can answer this question.

# 3 The engine temp reaches 230 so we brought it down to idle and checked the water, when I opened the can the first words from me were; this is bad news! The water was like muddy water rust and mud mixture, so I refilled the radiator and on the way we were but this time cruising only at 8 knots any faster and it would get hot.

# 4 engine hot and some strange looking color of smoke coming out of exhaust, checked the oil and it was not there, I did check the oil when we first had the oil leak and it looked a little over full, anyway added 2 gallons of oil and on the way were again.
We kept loosing water and oil the engine temp most of the time at 230 I figured we had or may have a blown head gasket I spoke with a guy that thinks otherwise.
I need your input to see if I can repair this thing for my friends we did see that all the oil was in the bilge when we got back so there an obvious leak somewhere in there.
Thank you in advance."

Back