Logo

1997 Mariner 40 hp

wepplerk

Own a 1997 40 hp mariner. Ser

Own a 1997 40 hp mariner. Serial #0G581375
1997 C40ELPTO
Repair shop says lower unit has a crack from someone install a lower seal. Where would I purchase a lower unit for this engine?

"If you have an overflowing wa

"If you have an overflowing wallet, see a Merc dealer.

Otherwise, check Ebay or the like. Expect to pay anywhere from about 200-500 for a decent lower unit (ya, that's the used price)...

Last alternative. Find a shop that can weld aluminum and get an opinion - they may be able to weld it for you...."

"Thank you Graham. New to thi

"Thank you Graham. New to this boating thing and therefore looking for all the help and advice and can get. Motor has run well, it is just the water getting into the lower unit that has me concerned. Are lower units readily available on Ebay and if so, is there anything to watch out for. I guess I just don't want to spend good money and buy another persons problem. Even wonder if it would be better to consider buying another moter (4 stoke). Anyway, appreciate your comments. Thanking you in advance.
Kevin"

"Kevin, because of the low tol

"Kevin, because of the low tolerance 4 strokes have with regards to neglect/lack of maintenance - unless someone was practically giving it away, I would not buy a used 4 stroke.

Unless it came from a shop/dealer that provided a warranty of at least 1 year. If you are looking for a potential rats nest of problems, an un-maintained 4 stroke is the way to go....

Similarly, because of the additional maintenance and over double the number of moving parts (which can fail), I would be hard pressed to buy a new 4 stroke - at least as long as there are alternatives.

Lower units are fairly common and if the need ever arose to replace it, I'm fairly certain you could obtain one in fairly short order..."

"Thanks Graham. I will try to

"Thanks Graham. I will try to find a lower unit. I will watch Ebay and local websites. If you know of any other vendors or sources, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks again for all of your help."

"if buying a lower unit from e

"if buying a lower unit from ebay or the like be sure to inspect gear oil inside unit as it will give you and indication of condition of unit, if it is filthy oil it may have been neglected or if it is sparkling clean it may be that it has the same problem as your and it has been refreshed for the sale to disguise a problem? food for thought!!"

Not sure where you are from bu

Not sure where you are from but. You could try J-B Weld In works great

You can get JB weld at Canadia

You can get JB weld at Canadian Tire In is great stuf. make sure you get the rite type . It is 2 small tubes you mix same amount put in crack let handed and away you go. I am in Milton 1/2 hr. from Toronto

"I have also used "liquid

"I have also used "liquid aluminum" to repair cavitation plates etc (cosmetic work), just never on a part that needs to be "watertight" (also available at crappy tire - automotive section with the body filler)

There is also a product (I think it's called Starbright - in the boat section at Canadian Tire) which is an epoxy that comes in a stick - two types, steel and aluminum base - you kinda kneed it like silly putty - I have used that on powerheads to fill/retap holes when I have had to drill out fasteners that were broken off - but again, not on anything that required a watertight seal - but might be worth a shot before you chuck the bucks for another lower.

And since we're dropping names, I'm in Cambridge Ontario
"

Back