Logo

318 rebuild ready to fire today

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
171520.jpg

This is the first of two 318's that I am rebuilding to go back in a 1971 Fiberglass (first year of all glass)28' Voyager designed by Ed Monk in 1966.

It has been a great learning experience.

The boat did 45 MPH before, I can't wait to see what she will do after these engines are back in.

Cheers!

Norm"

Lot of work and it shows. Plea

Lot of work and it shows. Please also post a shot showing the front of the engine. Is the round part just to the right of the distributor the oil pressure switch?

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
171593.jpg
171594.jpg

Front and before pic. We didn't get it fired last night.

It's a new edelbrock carb, the alternator has to be painted and that is the oil pressure switch - it is going to be changed when the senders are wired once the engine is back in the boat.

The old Tollycraft hadn't been kept-up for many years.

It was not that many hours to strip and paint everything to go back on.

Cheers!

Norm"

"The manifolds only had low fr

"The manifolds only had low fresh water hours on them when they were taken out years ago and stored. I'll swap the outside one with a new one when they are installed - so I'll have both Chrysler names facing in. This is the boat - Juanita - named by the yard.
171620.jpg
"

It is Pontiac blue. I couldn&#

It is Pontiac blue. I couldn't get the 318 green so I went with a colour to be close to the Tollycraft decks.

New fuel pump today. And fire tonight.

Norm

"Looks & sounds like a new

"Looks & sounds like a new engine! Congrats!!! These are great engines and with some TLC, like you've done, they'll go & go."

"G'Day Jim - Thank you!

"G'Day Jim - Thank you!

These 1971 engines were first rebuilt in 1991. The two complete rebuilds including the longblocks, with new carbs, pumps, etc. will come in under $10K. and should go for 20 years with proper care.

We are going to change them to FWC - that should ensure their long life.

172159.jpg
"

I've always been a fan of

I've always been a fan of inboards. Cost per hp delivered is much lower than OB's and if you have a problem with the engine and you have spares and a few tools on board you can likely fix it. Biggest bugaboo with marine engines in my opinion is the cooling system... which has to be strictly maintained.

I plan on adding a warning horn to my engine which will sound on low oil pressure or high water temp. The gauges are fine but chances are low that you'll be looking at them when the engine starts to overheat or the oil pressure drops.

Back