Logo

1993 40 HP Evinrude No Spark

M

Mark Johnson

"1st time a dealer found prima

"1st time a dealer found primary wire pinched. rerouting fixed problem. 2nd time, I found a wire with worn sheilding leading from the terminal block to under the flywheel. Black tape fixed problem. I now have no spark again. Tried new plugs, Bypassing the emergency shut off switch. I suspect another short. Can anyone help me with how I might troubleshoot the problem. Is there an easy way to determine if the switch is bad, or if any of the other electrical components are bad? I have access to a multimeter."

"disconect the wire from the i

"disconect the wire from the ign box, on merc its black/yellow, that should get you spark if the wiring or switches are bad."

"Respectfully disagree with pr

"Respectfully disagree with prior advice. Disconnecting the black/yellow might show up a bad ignition switch or short in leads to the switch. If the primary lead(s) are shorted, or other powerpack leads are shorted, it won't help much. Since you have a history of it I would start there. Sounds like you may want to invest in a new powerpack soon."

Is there a way to determine if

Is there a way to determine if the powerpack I have is good or shot? I'm assuming that the power pack is the black potted box that the 2 orange wires come out of that feed the distributor.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Back