Logo

Merc 50 1998 1 spark plug fouled

J

jumper

"For 2 seasons in a row when I

"For 2 seasons in a row when I changed my plugs. There is one plug(same one) that comes out with 1/4" hard blob of stuff on end of plug...totally filled in gap. Not wet, just hard dark colored. Is this a spark plug ignition issue? Should I start replacing distributor and wires? I havent done this yet with 420+ hours on motor."

"It depends on the what the pl

"It depends on the what the plug looks like. Assuming that it's misfiring, it has to be a damaged tower or contact on the distributor cap or a damaged plug wire. Replace the cap and rotor and see what that does. If not that then replace the spark plug wires. I suggest high performance street legal wires ( Accel, MSD, ect. ). Cap and rotor should be replaced more often than any other ignition components during routine maintainance. Good wires last many years with care and are usually damaged while being moved."

"So what's it like, runnin

"So what's it like, running your boat for two seasons in a row on seven cylinders?

Jeff"

"Jeff,......

You're Cru

"Jeff,......

You're Cruel,....... FUNNY, but Cruel........

jumper,.... It Could be several things,.....
My 1st GUESS is a Bad Intake Valve Seal........"

"jumper, Im the other way on t

"jumper, Im the other way on the tune up parts. I think wires are junk and the cap and rotor will last way longer. Besides that with the hours that are on it a full tune up set of parts would be prudent. I mean cap, rotor, wires and plugs. I guess past that what Bondo suggests is a base that would need to covered. Its minimal parts removal to replace a valve seal on motor. Good Luck"

Back