Logo

Auto Bilge Pump Wiring

rod_stewart

Outstanding Contributor
"Anyone got a wiring diagram f

"Anyone got a wiring diagram for a typical bilge pump using an automatic float switch?

I want to add one to my floating money disposal pit this year, but not sure how to wire it. I already have a manually switched bilge pump at present.

Thanks,
Rod"

"Ej;
Thanks so much; that is

"Ej;
Thanks so much; that is exactly what I was looking for.
I notice that it uses a SPDT switch to select whether auto or manual pumping.

I recall now that the bilge switch in my boat is a rocker type with two positions. Center is off, one way runs the pump, and the other does nothing.
I'll have to check the wiring, but perhaps it may be already wired for auto operation.

Thanks again,
Rod"

"That 15 amp circuit w/a 10 aw

"That 15 amp circuit w/a 10 awg wired pump looks like it is for a tug boat. It uses a DPDT switch that requires rewiring you circuit.

Rod: I have to give you my nickel's worth. If you just want to add a pump float switch to the bilge pump, connect one side of the switch to the existing pump + wire and the other side to a 12 volt fused source from a deep cycle battery for extended use or your primary battery. The fuse (same as current fuse or breaker) should be w/i a foot of the battery and 16 ga. wire is sufficient. You can throw a switch in the circuit if you want to turn the auto float switch on/off."

"Guy;
Thanks, that is an angl

"Guy;
Thanks, that is an angle I had not considered.
I need to check the wiring that is already installed in my boat. I have a hunch that it may be wired for an auto float type hookup as well as manual. Next time at the lake I plan to do some digging around and look.

There never seems to be any shortage of boat projects, right?

Rod"

Rod:

Yesterday in the 98 de

Rod:

Yesterday in the 98 deg. F. HOT &HUMID weather I removed the driver side windshield and side glass just so I could remove 2 strips of 1" teak trim from the area around the dash rear and refinish it. Took 3 hours but now after 4 years of putting it off the job is done! It was just one of those annoying things I had to do.

About bilge pump installation; when I did my refurb 2 yrs. ago I did not reinstall one w/screws on the FG covered wood in the bilge. I scuffed the lowest point of the hull with 50 grit sanding diisk and a VS drill and then epoxied the base of a cartridge type pump. Now I am going to install a float switch for it next. When? Who knows.

"I like Guy's simple idea.

"I like Guy's simple idea. That's how i did my float switch. I didn't want the option to turn the automatic function off...I'm too absent minded to be trusted to leave in auto. I also wired to the B+ so the battery disconnect switch doesn't disable it...Actually I have one of those remote disconnects from Canadian Tire (which kicks ass BTW) and it has a specific terminal for the bilge pump.
Only issue I could have is if I left the disconnect off, and the pump just happened to be running, and I tried to crank the engine...I would be trying to draw starter current through the float switch..but the fuse would simply blow. I also used epoxy for my float switch... I don't like screw holes in the bilge"

"I like the Rule automatic pum

"I like the Rule automatic pumps. No float switches to fowl with the pumps checking for resistance against the impeller every two minutes. My backup choice is a pump with a water witch control. No moving parts. Have you ever seen a conventional float switch fail because of lake grass fowling it?

Here is a pic of my setup. Two 3500 gph computerized Rule pumps. I took the basic bilge alarm and removed the panel fuse and replaced it with a green led. It's now fused from the 12v panel. Now when the computerized Rule pumps come on the led turns momentarily green. This lets me know things are working. I also installed toggle covers because the dog kept shutting the switches off with her tail. The alarm buzzer and red light are set up to go off at a slight higher placed water witch switch.

171572.jpg
Pump Switch

Back