Logo

Mercruiser Alpha 5L overheating

minimized

"My Bayliner 2450 w/ Mercrusie

"My Bayliner 2450 w/ Mercrusier 5L and Alha one outdrive is overheating. The engine is sea water cooled. I tested the outdrive pump before launching w/earmuffs and it seemed fine.

Now that the boat is in the water, the engine overheats after 5 minutes running.

I removed some sea water hoses and found there is no water in the system.

I don't know why but I also have a sea water inlet in the hull as well as the outdrive.

I was told the sea water belt driven pump on the starboard side of the engine is probably bad.

Do I actually need to have the engine pulled to repair/replace the pump??

Thanks
How can I remove this pump while still in the Hull"

"You could have a number of is

"You could have a number of issues, particularly if you are in salt water.

Where does your Alpha pump water to?
If your engine has a belt driven pump, you can remove the pump for service, but in some installations it can be challenging.

If you have a hull intake it may be plugged up. You should also have a sea strainer between it and the belt driven pump. It likely needs cleaning out.

You may also have plugged up exhaust manifolds and/or risers which will prevent water from leaving the engine. Also your T'stat may need changing out.

Rod"

"You do not need the engined p

"You do not need the engined pulled to service a raw water pump. Follow the hose from thru hull pick up it will lead to the raw water pump.I am a little confused, if youhave an alpha 1 gen 1,2 then the water pump in the drive feeds the engine through an oil cooler. There are cases where a raw water pump is added to the system, and in that case the hose in the bell housing is cut so that it does not feed the system, however cools the upper part of the drive. A mercruiser raw water pump will have an impeller in it if that is not working then the engine will over heat. Here is a cite that may help you http://www.outdriveshop.com/rawaterpumpkits.html"

"I have a 5.0 ltr mercruiser.

"I have a 5.0 ltr mercruiser. the engine is newly rebuilt, new water pump, ner risers, manifolds,and outdrive water pump and impellar. I have even checked the poppett balls in the t-stat housing. It constantly overheats, at idle,wot, off plane at 22oo rpm it runs a normal temp. Any ideas?"

You should start a new thread

You should start a new thread to get the most responses. Check for a kink in the OD water hose or blockage between there and the T'stat.

Back