Logo

Gear box clutch problems

just stripped the fwd and rev

just stripped the fwd and rev and clutch assembley found ware on clutch dog and fwd and rev gear can anyone tell me where i can buy cheap parts to replace above would like to overhaul all the bearings etc if cost affective. is it possible to reface the clutch dog and fwd gear?

"i dont like re-facing of the

"i dont like re-facing of the gears,unless,it is a machinist that does quite a few...what eng--HP YEAR...sierra makes alot of parts as well as BRP(shop.evinrude.com)"

its a 70 hp johnson 1980 model

its a 70 hp johnson 1980 model b09316 the corners on the fwd gear and the corners on the shifter are rounded/worn the engin jumps and bangs like u have hit the bottom when accelerating and gets increasingly worse as you increase speed would have to grind off 1.5mm off each corner side. the problem was caused by a worn needle bearing and shim i think! do u think this would excessively weeken the shifter- fwd gear there seems to be plenty of meat on them?!

"I would inst a new gearset...

"I would inst a new gearset...ck the pinion gear...if u repl ALL the gears and clutch dog,u will need the use of a shim gauge tool to properly set it up..it is a common thing for some,to machine the gears and dog .....i feel ,this is a temporary fix....fix it,fix it ONCE,fix it right,and forget it for years."

Back