Logo

2008 Yamaha F115 4 stroke Fuel in oil

J

John Stafford

My 115 has only 5 hrs. of the

My 115 has only 5 hrs. of the break-in process down. I recently discoverd the oil level 3" above the hash marks after it was originally only at the top of the marks. Drained out 5.25 qts. from a 4.55 capacity motor. Can see and smell the fuel in the oil. Refilled with Yamalube 4-M to half way up the hash marks. Dealer says the rings havn't seated yet. He recommends running it hard for an extended period to get it hot. I'am very concerned about this "making oil" issue. Now that I own one dealer says its quite common with Yamaha 4-stokes. I'm thinking maybe I should have bought an E-TEC instead. Is the rings seating really the problem or is something else the cause. I would appreciate advice from someone with first hand knowledge.

"Had the same problem with min

"Had the same problem with mine. Check the thermostat, replaced mine problem solved."

Common across the board and I

Common across the board and I think Yamaha needs to fix the problem!

Also I would make the dealer that sold it fix it because gas in the oil during break-in can't be good

"After consulting Yamaha I hav

"After consulting Yamaha I have cured the fuel in oil problem with my F115 4-stroke. The problem is owners aren't getting the motors hot enough to seat the rings during initial break-in. Mine has stopped making oil after I followed Yamaha's instructions. 2 solid hours of alternating ten minutes at full throttle, motor trimmed down, to ten minutes at 1500 rpm or less. Make the motor work. Get it hot enough to seat the rings. Mine has stopped making oil. It runs beautifuly. Yamaha also told me they made a thermastat change in 2002 because of this issue. It seems to me what they need to change now is the break-in instructions in their owners manuals and how their dealers are instructing customers."

Back