Logo

43 lx questions

delawarebaydog

I have a 4.3 lx in a 23 Prolin

I have a 4.3 lx in a 23 Proline. It won't idle until it heats up to 140 degrees. Anybody have any ideas why? Also at what temp. should the moter run at after it's completely warmed up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

"Sounds like the 4 bbl Weber c

"Sounds like the 4 bbl Weber carb version.
The temp should be 160 when warmed up give or take.
If its only 140 it sounds like the wrong T'stat installed.
Is the choke closing OK when cold?
The choke plate should just close when cold, then when it starts it should open about 3/16". As the engine warms up the choke plate should open and be wide open in about 5 minutes.

Rod"

"My 1988 4.3L manual calls for

"My 1988 4.3L manual calls for a "143" degree thermostat, and per the very small guage guesstimate, runs about 145 no matter how hard I run. Newer models may call for other temps, but 140 and 160 are the ball park targets of most marine thermostats."

"Tom;
If the T'stat is do

"Tom;
If the T'stat is doing its job your engine should warm up to normal temp within just a few minutes, then sit there fairly steady regardless of engine load or time running.

If the temp tends to float around a lot, and get much warmer when running hard, you may want to replace the stat. I would go with 160; most will tell you that with todays oils that is the one to run with any RWC engine. 170 is used with FWC systems.

Rod"

Weak impeller will cause temp.

Weak impeller will cause temp. fluctuations. Rod is right about the 160 deg. F. T'stat for FWC. All the RWC 4.3L for that year call for 143 deg. F. per Merc. on-line parts manual.

Temps seems fine. What does it

Temps seems fine. What does it do when it "won't idle"? Does it stumble and blubber along or what? Suspect the choke.

Back