Logo

Shifting Issues

basskiller1

"Hi Guys,

I'm hoping y

"Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me with a mechanical issue. I have a 2005 Volvo I/o. Great engine. Two weeks ago I had an issue with getting the engine out of nuetral. I was giving her gas but she did not get out of nuetral. I brought it to mechanic and they told me the problem was that the cable was stuck from sitting still over the winter and that he disconnected the cable, greased it and it now it's fine.

I took the boat out on Saturday and the boat went right into gear but with only one issue. The shifter was so hard I had to give it a lot of pressure in order to get the boat going. When we got to the fishing spot and I tried to put it back into nuetral it was even tougher. It took a lot of effort in order to get her back into nuetral. I felt as if I was going to brake something.

Also when we went to move spots, the boat again wouldnt get out of nuetral but after a few mintues it "fell" into nuetral and the shifter was still tough to operate.

I think it could be a few things:

1. The friction setting on the cable- Lockwood might have set it to hard.
2. They never fixed the original problema nd I will need to bring it back.

Any ideas guys?"

"The friction setting is done

"The friction setting is done at the control (in some control systems). If this does not solve the problem, just replace the shift cable, they are not expensive. In my experience, greasing the gable does little or nothing to solve shift problems."

Teleflex recommends NOT greasi

Teleflex recommends NOT greasing the cable. I would recommend changing the cables to Teleflex Extreme cables. Very smooth.

Back