Logo

Evinrude 50HP VRO starting problems

Y

yam6

"Hi,
Im running an Evinrude 5

"Hi,
Im running an Evinrude 50hp VRO 2stroke, 2 cylinder engine - not sure on the age but suspect 1990's. Was running fine at the start of Sunday. Anchored after about 40mins of low speed motoring. Then had problem starting. Took approx 3mins of electric start to get going. Then went on approx 30mins of high speed motoring, moored for approx 20mins and the had a problem starting and took approx 5mins of electric start to get going. 30mins of high speed motoring to get home. Tried starting today but will not start.

The engine turns over so is not seized. I have renewed the spark plugs today, and both are sparking. The plugs are wet when I took them out, also when I turned the engine over with no plugs in fuel pulsed out of the holes, so it appears fuel is getting to them. I have checked the compression top cylinder is 102psi and bottom is 118psi this gives approx 15% difference.

Is the difference in PSI enough to cause the engine not the start?
The enigne does spell of fuel when I try to start, could it be that its flooding all the time due to the carbs out of sink? If this is the cause how do I alter the carbs to be more leaner?

Running out of ideas, any help very much appreciated."

"Do a carb clean/rebuild and s

"Do a carb clean/rebuild and set everything to factory specs, check reed valves and linkages.

If it was my motor i would have the head off with compression figures like that though....could be a gasket thing."

"Hi,
Thanks for your help. We

"Hi,
Thanks for your help. We did the decarb which has put the PSI numbers back in line. Took the boat to a very good Outboard workshop for a service. They found the VRO pump was putting to much oil into the mix. They have replaced VRO pump with standard fuel pump and all works A1. Thanks again."

Back