Logo

3 Beeps when I turn ignition on

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I have a 1991 350 Magnum which

I have a 1991 350 Magnum which came to me with no manuals etc... I dont believe that I have any problems with it unless this is one. When I turn on the ignition I get three beeps at probably 1 second intervals. Is this normal and is there a general rule of beeps as in 1 beep for overheating 2 beeps for oil pressure or anything like that. My engine is a carburettor version.

"Most except EFI will just hav

"Most except EFI will just have a steady beep with the key on until you get it started, and the low oil pressure switch kicks out.
The alarm will go if there is low oil press, high coolant temp, or low lube oil reservoir level. You have an Alpha Gen II, right?
Is there any special instrumentation or engine monitor systems installed?

Rod"

It has oil pressure and temp g

It has oil pressure and temp guage plus trim/tilt Voltage speedo and tacho. It bleeps 3 times when ignition is turned on and then stops. Other than that It has never gone off.

"Kind of odd.
Any I have hear

"Kind of odd.
Any I have heard just have a steady alarm signal.
If you are convinced that the oil press and temps are good, I would not worry about it.

Just to assure yourself that the alarm will go when needed, you could try removing the sensor wire at the coolant high temp switch and the oil low pressure switch, and jumper them to engine ground. The alarm should then go.

The wire in all cases is tan/blu in color. These switches are all wired in parallel and complete the alarm circuit to ground. So what you are in effect doing is acting like a switch that has closed and completing the circuit to ground.

Rod"

Back