Logo

305 to 383 conversion overheating a message for rod stewart

"Hey guys, I installed a trans

"Hey guys, I installed a transom water pickup, a sea strainer and my sea pump back on my 383, went for another test run today. Engine runs fine up to 3/4 throttle, but at WOT engine is still shutting down to an idle and sometimes shuts right down. I guess my best bet is to get it put on the code reader to see why. Also this time it seemed a little sluggish from 3/4 to WOT. Any sugestions?"

"jeff;
Are you getting any in

"jeff;
Are you getting any indication of overheating on your regular temp gauge?
If not, then yes, I think you need to have the codes read to see what's going on.

Rod"

"Rod, the engine is running be

"Rod, the engine is running between 160 and 170 on the gauge and on the gun. At idle it was about 175 to 180, the exhaust was 210 at the front and the risers were cold to the touch."

"I just got back from the loca

"I just got back from the local dealer and these are the codes that came up:
22 warning horn output
94 pitot pressure circuit low
75 fuel level 1 circuit low
119 steering position circuit low
104 lake/sea temp circuit high
130 trim sensor circuit high
The codes were read with the engine off.
Is that code 104 a high temp and would my high exhaust temp 215 degrees shut me down even if the engine never goes over 170 and the risers are at 75 degrees. I don't remember seeing any exhaust temp sensors. The dealer is thinking that it also could be starving for fuel. He also said something about a neutral switch, if the drive twists from the HP, the engine would think it was in neutral and limit my RPM. I'm going for a ride right now with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up, they said it must have 43.5 psi at all times. We'll see."

"Well, I went for a ride with

"Well, I went for a ride with the fuel gauge reading 42psi. Does anyone think that this would shut it down, I don't think so."

"Jeff;
None of those sound se

"Jeff;
None of those sound serious.
94 is pitot pressure used for boat speed reading. Not applicable
75 is low 1st fuel tank level; nothing to do with fuel pressure.
119 steering sensor is not applicable
104 is a boat mounted sea water temp sensor. Not appicable. Does not mean it is overheating.
130 is trim sensor shorted. Is your trim indicator working?

Most of these are sensors that you would not have anything connected to with a normal installation, and they will show a fault code with no input.
There is really nothing here I can see that would explain your shutdowns. None of these would cause the EFI to go into Guardian mode.

A #3 code is sea pump pressure low, and would be showing if your water supply pressure was low.
#21 is coolant high temp.
Both of these would cause Guardian mode, but it sounds like neither was present.

I think you may need to talk to merc technical support and see what they can suggest. You may need to get the dealer to reflash the EFI.
There have been a couple of cases on this forum where a reflash has cured a weird problem.

Wish I could be more help.
Rod"

"I called Tech support, they s

"I called Tech support, they said I have to have that neutral switch and the engine interupter switch, because the computer thinks it is still in neutral and it won't give it full power. I had full power, now it hesitates after 3000 rpm, he said I have a bunch of people steering me in the wrong direction, told me to bring it to the dealer, he didn't really want to help. I guess I have no choice."

"Jeff;
Not to offend anyone w

"Jeff;
Not to offend anyone who works for Merc, but that response sounds typical.
Mine does not have the neutral switch connected either, and it works fine.
Also the interrupt switch works fine as its wired.
My local dealer walked me through all this at the time I was doing the engine install, as he is quite conversant with installing Bravo EFI module engines into Alpha drive boats. More paricularly, he has installed about 4 or 5 6.2 MPI's at this point.

I don't think your problems are related to either the neutral switch or the interrupt switch at all. I think there is something amiss in your EFi programming.
Do you have a local dealer who is conversant with Merc EFI's, and who could reflash it if necesary?

Rod"

"Rod, I brought the boat in fo

"Rod, I brought the boat in for the third time to read the ECM. The guy from Merc said that he needs the perameters and all that stuff, there is supposed to be about 8 pages to look through. The Marc tech is going to walk the dealer through the laptop. We'll try again. This sucks. Not much I can do."

I hear your pain Jeff.
Hopefu

I hear your pain Jeff.
Hopefully it will all pay off.
Let us all know what the resolution turns out to be; I for one will be very interested.

Rod

"Hey I'm back, and so is m

"Hey I'm back, and so is my boat. I got the printout and it shows 49 overspeeds RPM 5341, maybe my tach is out because the rev limiter always kicked in at 5150. And it showed low voltage 11.4V. Other than that Merc told me to put a bigger fuel line. I left the 3/8" line on but removed the anti-siphon valve, replaced my battery cable ends, charged the battery and bought a 21 pitch prop. No more shut downs, boat runs good, but it dosen't have quite the power that it use to. From half throttle to full, the boat dosen't twist anymore and it only gets 56mph instead of 60. I ordered a new fuel filter to see if that will fix my last problem. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Any other suggestions? Thanks"

"When I first put the engine i

"When I first put the engine in, it was 5000rpm with a 21 but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what it was this weekend. I'll have to check next ride."

"At WOT my rpm is 4900rpm now.

"At WOT my rpm is 4900rpm now. I tried to replace the fuel filters just to be safe because the engine sat in the crate for 2 years and when I took the cap off where the filter goes, the filter and cup assy. was missing. The dealer never installed one. There was a small filter at the bottom and it was very black with old gas. I removed that and under it was black with crud also. I wiped the housing clean, cleaned that small filter and ordered a new one and a new cup and filter assy. still waiting for them to come in. I ran some Enginevac fuel system cleaner through it and it's still missing 100rpm. I will wait until the new filters come in and try that. Hopefully my injecters aren't plugging up. If it still runs like that with the new filters, I'll take the injecters out, turn them upside down and check the spray."

Rod
I'm getting 58mph wit

Rod
I'm getting 58mph with a 21 pitch prop. The boat dosen't twist when I go from half throttle to full anymore. The fuel system was pretty dirty. I have to pick up my filters and cup Tuesday and try that.

"Jeff;
Just curious; how is y

"Jeff;
Just curious; how is your boat running these days?

I just got back from 2 weeks at the lake and mine did not miss a beat.
The only problem I am having is that every time I try to test out WOT, the speedo hose fitting at the place where it connects on the drive blows off, and I lose all speed indications. I of course forgot to take my GPS along.

From where this happens tho I can tell I am hitting at least 60 mph top end. Plenty fast enough for me.

I put the Hardin inline exhaust silencers in my side hull exhausts, and they have made it a little quieter. Much more tolerable, but still sounds quite good. My neighbors seem to be less upset now.
Gotta keep the peace, you know?

Rod"

"Hey Rod, I'm not quite su

"Hey Rod, I'm not quite sure how it's running, I haven't used it in twwo weeks. I replaced the dirty fuel filter that was in it and installed the cup and filter that was missing and I even pulled the injectors out and sprayed them with intake cleaner, they were clean. I haven't tried it since, but next Friday we're going to head to the lake and burn some gas for a few days. My last run that I did, I was getting 58mph with a little bit of a power loss, but I still had the dirty fuel filter in it. It should be like a new engine now, I hope. I'll keep you posted.

At 60mph, is your boat still straight? Did you cut the holes in your boat for your exhaust yourself, I like those.}"

"Jeff;
At top end she is gett

"Jeff;
At top end she is getting a little squirrely for sure. Must be close to the upper limit for the hull.
I may take a look at a drive stabilizer over the winter.

Yes, I marked and cut the exhaust holes myself. It was a case of check it several times and do it right once the first time. Worked out just fine.
The fiberglass is about 5/8" thick in that area, so the cutting with a recip saw was a little slow.
I wanted to go with straight transom exhausts with silent choice, but that just would not work in my case.

Rod"

"Rod
My internet has been act

"Rod
My internet has been acting up, I couldn't get online for a few days. Anyway, I went on my camping trip last weekend and my engine ran the same as my last run 57mph and 4950rpm, I guess that's it. It dosen't start to lose control anymore. I can't see the engine getting hurt because nothing bad showed as far as codes, oh well. I did find two rocks hiding under the water though, lucky I was only idling. They just shaved the tips of my prop a little."

Back