Logo

130280 combo

clueless

"Hi all-
I'm looking at a

"Hi all-
I'm looking at a '77 tri-hull w/ a Volvo 130 motor and 280 drive combo. The drive doesn't go into reverse, is there a simple way to check if this is a cable problem or a drive problem?

What other trouble spots should I be looking for on this combo?

What should be compression read?

As I mentioned, it's a tri-hull. It's 16.5 feet long. Will this combo be ok for skiing?

Thanks!"

"A little under-powered for sk

"A little under-powered for sking.

There's a cable that puts the gearbox in reverse, and it needs adjusting or replacing (probably). Be damn sure it gets fixed BEFORE you buy the boat--pulling that gearbox to repair it is expensive.

Jeff"

Thanks FastJeff. I'm inte

Thanks FastJeff. I'm interested in tinkering with it myself when I go back to look at it. Do you know how to make the adjustment? I'm a good mechanic but have 0 experience w/ boats.

"There's a cover in the ba

"There's a cover in the back, held by a couple of screws. Pull it and you'll see the shift cable and lever it moves.

I hope an adjustment will do it, but you may need to replace a stretched cable.

Jeff"

"Should I be able to move the

"Should I be able to move the lever by hand if I disconnected the cable?

You mentioned the setup would be a little under-powered for skiing. Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm not huge (175#), do you think it will pull me out with the family (2 boys + wife) on board?"

"Yes, the lever will move with

"Yes, the lever will move with the cable off (but not easily).

It will pull you up, but may be a bit hesitant. You COULD go with a lesser pitch prop to compensate, but it'll cost you some top end speed and gas mileage.

On my old 19 foot Bayliner with the 3.0 four banger, my 'junk' prop (reduced in size after milling a few rocks) planed much easier, but the poor engine tried to scream itself to death at WOT.

Six of one, a half dozen of the...

Jeff"

"How difficult is this drive/e

"How difficult is this drive/engine going to be to get parts for?
I had a dealer tell me this weekend that I was in for a tough time getting parts and that if I did find what I needed, they'd be really expensive."

Back