Logo

Force 120 overhead alarm going off

byronjacobson

"Hi, I have a 10 or 12 year ol

"Hi, I have a 10 or 12 year old force 120 outboard. two years ago when idling slowly, the overheat alarm would go off. we put in a new impeller and problem went away. Yesterday when using the boat for the first time this year, the same thing happened again. I let the motor cool down and then when starting the motor about 30 mintues later, the alarm went off right away as soon as i turned the ignition key. A few minutes later the alarm stopped. today when driving the boat, the boat seemed to operate without any problems. Everything seemed to work fine. the water pumps shows a good spray when idling, but when driving full speed I don't see any water being pumped out. Shouldn't I see water being pumped out the exhaust when running full speed?"

"Actually, you won't see m

"Actually, you won't see much water coming out of those holes while running full speed, those are idle relief holes, only spits out at idle because there isn't enough pressure at idle to force the water and exhaust out the snout or prop underwater. You can however add a "tell tale" off of your thermostat housing to give you a constant reminder that your water pump is working. do a google search for "Force outboard tell tale"

see here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=210027"

Good call Brian cos I was abou

Good call Brian cos I was about to ask who was sticking their head underwater with the boat running at WOT to look at the exhaust...hehe

"HI again,

the alarm went o

"HI again,

the alarm went off again a week later after idling slowly for walleyes. I decided to change the impellor and check the thermostat. impellor looked good and the thermostat opened fine in a cup of heated water. when putting the impellor on and torquing the nuts holding the black plastic water pump body, i cracked the plastic. now i'm waiting on a new water pump body. Do you guys torque the nuts to 15 ft-lb like it says to do on the plastic water pump body? I'm thinking I'll just hand tighten it when the part comes in.

also i tried using a garden hose to flush the water intake and outtake. flushed it both directions. don't know if that did anything or not."

Back