Logo

2000 Sea Fox W 2000 150 HP Johnson motorPlease Help

cmone42

"I am having 2 issues with my

"I am having 2 issues with my newly purchased boat. Number 1 is that when I put the boat in the water and start it up, it idles great/sounds great. After running the boat for a while and coming back to the ramp, when idling the boat begins to sputter and then die. My guess is a low speed jet in the carb is clogged, but not sure. The boat has less than 75 hours on it. Has been sitting for the past 2 years and has 2 year old gas in it. Maybe just run this tank through with sea foam?
Number 2 is that my volt/battery meter is reading 18+ (all the way up). Is this normal? Shouldn't it be in the middle? It seems that the battery isn't charging while running either. Cables look a little corroded, so I am working on that, but could that be it or something else?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!!"

"Two year old gas?? How is it

"Two year old gas?? How is it even running? Two choices: Drain the tank, and get fresh fuel. If it is going to sit over a couple of weeks use Stabil. OR if fuel level is low, ADD lots of fresh fuel. Sea Foam probably will not do you any good.
Have you removed the top cover of you motor and gave it real good once over?? That is checked the spark plugs & wire resistence?? Have you checked all the electrical connections for corrosion, and applied dielectric grease? Have you checked the coils for good grounds and the coil hot wire for clean tight connections??
Have you checked you complete fuel system for leaks? Is the fuel squeeze bubble working correctly (will pump up hard)??
If all the battery connections are not very clean, and coated with dielectric grease, then make sure they are. If the connections are not clean too much current is lost to heat, and the batteries will never charge, killing your alternater and charging system. It seems to me it ought to read about 14 volts most of the time. My point is these marine engines must have continuous preventive care of the basics. The old fram commercial said it best--"pay me now or pay me later.""

"Not sure how it is running [i

"Not sure how it is running
I bought it from a lady who lost her husband and it has been sitting for a while. Fuel system seems fine. The motor literally looks like brand new. I have been busy going over all the wire connections. I cleaned the battery terminals and connections and they really needed it. All the connections on the motor look ok. Tight and very clean. When I go to turn the boat in the "on" position, and not start it, it shoots up to 18 volts and stays there. Should my focus be on the motor or in the electrical paneling on the console? Also, how do I test to see if the alternater is shot? Could it be gone? Another symptom....The other day when I was out on the boat, I keep 2 batteries on the boat. We were cruising for a long time. 45 min or so. Then I noticed that my depth finder went out. Also the marine radio would not work. The power trim would not work, and when I hit it (trim up/down), my 4 lights and the beep that I get when I turn the key to "on" went off. It would do this every time I hit the trim. Then when we stopped, I was idling and the motor died. Would not start....wouldn'te even turn over. DEAD. So I switched batteries. New battery. The motor started. Then sputtered and died. I went to start it and again it was DEAD. Nothing. So I disconnected the battery and then connected again and it started up. Needless to say I went to the ramp and got the thing out of the water!!!

Any More Ideas????

Thanks again."

"1.Charge the batteries up, th

"1.Charge the batteries up, they should read 12v on a voltmeter or they're duds.

2.Then install and go run it in the lake, put your vmeter across the terminals, it should read 14v, ignore the guage for now.

3.Buy an outboard manual for your engine.!"

Back