Logo

Advance springs for a Prestolite ignition

cartergr

"I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri

"I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri Cuddy with AQ225E / 275 outdrive.
I am having a hard time finding replacement springs in Toronto, for my Prestolite distributor model # 841069. Does anyone have any thoughts as to were I can find replacement advance springs. There is no issues with this distributor except for the rusted out small spring. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"Geoff, it is not a good idea

"Geoff, it is not a good idea to just replace springs, as the advance curve may get affected: if too advanced, detonation may happen; if too retarded, the engine will lack power.

Your best bet is to take the distributor to a shop where they can test it and install the correct springs so that it keeps the correct advance curve."

"Thanks El, I did some more se

"Thanks El, I did some more searching on the site and found Lakeland Auto & Maine and gave them a call and they have the parts. Matched up by the IBM number 7013A and Bill was able to match the springs up and they have them.
Thanks for you help.
Geoff"

Thanks. I do have the digital

Thanks. I do have the digital advance on my timing light and a digital tach. but were would I get the factory advance curve info from?

"Geoff, this is the draph for

"Geoff, this is the draph for a 350 Chev. Use the darker line, as the others ("original" and "final") are from one of my distributors (before and after recurving).

Please keep in mind that if you are going to use the timing light to verify the curve, then you have to add the static ignition timing at idle (8ºBTDC at 600 RPM) tot he values on the chart.

171135.jpg
"

This is a great help thank you

This is a great help thank you.
I will let you know once I get it set up.
The engine has not ran for 4 years. Had pulled the engine half a apart so far and hope to have it running this weekend.
Thanks again El!

Back