Logo

Tohatsu 6HP 4 Stroke Good or Bad

davhj

"I'm thinking of buying a

"I'm thinking of buying a 6HP 4 stroke Tohatsu I like the ideah that it is only 55lbs. Is this a good motor, do any of you out there have any imput good or bad that may help me in my decision on this motor
Thanks for your help,
Dave"

There really isn't any qua

There really isn't any qualitative difference from brand to brand. It's more a case of:

Price versus HP versus Weight versus Warranty versus etc.

It depends on what you find valuable.

"I'm just discovering this

"I'm just discovering this thread, and you've probably already bought a motor, but I warn everyone to never buy a Nissan/Toahtsu 4-stroke. Mine has given me nothing but trouble, and it seems everyone I've known who has one has had the same experience. It only runs when everything is perfect. New spark plug, freshly cleaned carb, freshest gas, and an extra fuel filter on the gas hose.

If you already bought it, familiarize yourself with the carb. You'll be disassembling it OFTEN (sometimes while you're on the water). Keep the tools and spare parts on your boat at all times.

The best thing you can do is get rid of it and buy a Yamaha, or even a 2 stroke Nissan. But I tell everyone. Don't buy the Nissan/Tohatsu 4 strokes. http://www.dontforward.com/jeffandjanice/2007/10/weve-only-slept-at-anchor-few-t imes-and.html"

It runs like every other singl

It runs like every other single cylinder 4-stroke outboard on the market. It is pathetic that someone would denigrate a product based on their own lack of maintenance and care. If you are having a repeated problem with a carburetor then the problem is based on your own lack of care and poor fuel choice.

"I can't believe you would

"I can't believe you would resort to personal attacks. I've known several people who have had problems with Nissans. They give trouble even when new. How can that be lack of maintenance and care?

But I do agree that it runs... with constant maintenance and constant care.

What I don't understand is how my lawn mower - which has a 4-stroke and is subjected to dusty conditions -- can be trouble free for years, while an outboard -- on which your life may depend -- can be so unreliable as to almost worthless.

Other outboards I've owned have needed only an annual servicing... and even then the service was preventative -- not because of any problems I'd had. But this Nissan can't go a year like the others do. At least every few months it needs to be taken apart.

I know your livelihood depends on selling Nissans, so I don't expect you to acknowledge problems, but trust me, there are major problems with Nissans/ Tohatsu."

"Typical respnse that I would

"Typical respnse that I would expect from someone out to damage a brand name. Go re-read my post. It's not a personal attack to state that carburetor problems are always the direct result of the consumers lack of care, poor choices and bad luck. That is simply the truth. If you have managed to find a few other people, out of the tens of thousnads, who have that model that have had a problem with a dirty carburetor so what. By the very nature of the problem being a clog you have identified that problem is your own lack of care. Grow up and learn how to care of your equipment."

"Tohatsu Guru is right. The k

"Tohatsu Guru is right. The key to keeping a Tohatsu running is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

If you're not pulling the carb and cleaning it out 2-3 times per season, it's your own fault. Keep a service manual, tools, and spare parts aboard at all times. I find that with lots of work the Tohatsu is a very reliable motor."

"Ulterior motives??? That&#39

"Ulterior motives??? That's hilarious.

Tohatsu Guru SELLS Tohatsus. He posts on many BBs all over the web. Rather than acknowledge any problems, he blames the users. His posts are specifically designed to boost sales. If there's a problem with Tohatsus, he'll be the last to admit it.

Now THAT'S an ulterior motive!!!"

""And the pathetic attacks

""And the pathetic attacks continue by people with ulterior motives"...I'll be happy to acknowledge any legitimate problem with a design or defect in the manufacturing process. But the fact is that a clogged carburetor, by its very nature, is the consumers fault. As to my reasons for answering questions on the net...Any nameless, faceless "person" has the ability to slander a brand for whatever imaginary reason they can come up with. My goal is to correct miss statements, falsehoods and in the case of bashers like yourself, the utter nonsense that dribbles from your mouths. For your own information I rarely promote my own dealership in my posts and I never bash any other brand. In fact I routinely correct bashers of other brands and explain to them that the problem they are experiencing is either of their own creation or normal for all brands in like circumstances. But you don't care about the truth. You just like defaming people and products from the safety of anonymous posts. I hear from your type every day. Slander and libel, those are the only weapons your type have. Continuing this is pointless so I won't respond to your attacks any further."

Back