Logo

1985 Volvo Penta 18hp 2cyl diesel Water in fuel lines

anne_rendell

"Gentlemen, I have an 85 2002

"Gentlemen, I have an 85 2002 volvo penta auxillary diesel which I have maintained since 92 personally. I recently replaced the fuel return line after having discovered a leak at the end of last season. Upon first startup yesterday the engine ran for 2 minutes and gave out. I deceided to then check the fuel filter screen (fig 33 in manual). Upon opening, fresh water ran from the screw opening (alot for just condensation). Can you guys walk this girl on a budget through this one? How do I purge the water? Thanks [email protected]"

"I asked a question on this fo

"I asked a question on this forum myself and have not received any replies comments or complaints
I think this forum is like Dr. Phil show people like to hear the problem and that's the end of it.
Now I am not sure about your diesel engine, but the ones I do know about.
The diesel fuel filter has a turn valve at the bottom and the filter is suppose to trap the water and your suppose to open that valve until you get straight fuel.
I myself have never had water in my diesel so every time I try to dump water from my filter there is none.
Hope this helps you."

"If You have water in the filt

"If You have water in the filter/separator, You even have water in the fuel tank.
Start by opening the tank (remove the sender for fuel gauge), use a copper pipe attached to a oil-change pump or similar and stick the copper pipe down to the lowest point of the tank - pump until clean diesel comes out.
Replace ALL filters. Fill them with clean diesel before putting them on, saves some manual pumping.
Take Your 'owners manual', if don't have one, download from the net. (Google: Volvo penta owners manual)
Follow the steps 'bleeding fuel system'
Add frsh diesel and diesel treatment to the tank, and get the engine started. Let it run for at least 1/2 hour, still tied, in gear on light load to be sure no air is left."

"Lino, I did answer Anne at he

"Lino, I did answer Anne at her email address. Explanation was rather lengthy for forum."

"I had to say something to get

"I had to say something to get the attention of others.
I am trying to help some friends out with their boat and I lack knowledge on these engines.
Very nice of you to reply to the person by e-mail but if others have the same problem, your answer does them no good."

Back