Logo

Old outboard remote throttle control failed

jasno999

Ok I am sort of useless here b

Ok I am sort of useless here but I have a boat that has an old 75hp johnson engine on it. I purchased it from a guy 3 years ago to use. It has served me well but today I pused the throttle all the way down and well it went past where it is suppsed to stop and broke.

I now have no throttle control. I can still shift into neutral and forward but I only have idle. I took the controller box off the side mount and the lever that I use to open up the carbs for starting basicall fell off. IT looks like there is a screw that holds this thing on and that screw broke. Needless to say I am guessign that somehow this caused the thing to fail.

I don' knwo what to do. I will try to take the box apart next weekend but I am guessing I may need a new remote control box. Do they sell these controls with the lever for opening up the carbs for starting in the nutral position????

Also I am nto sure hwo it works but when I turn the key I am supposed to push it in to help start the engine. I am not sure if it soes something to the throttle cables or what but in the past I have alwyas had to pul the lever up and push the key in while turning it to get started.

If I need to get a new control where shoudl I look and do they sell these anymore. (Oh and I have trim control on it as well.

Oh the reason you push the key

Oh the reason you push the key in when turning it to start is because that is the choke. So I need that capability as well.

I can figure most things out and I would rather not have to take this to get repaired at a shop but I am goig nto need soem help figuring out what the right equipment to get is.

"Jason,
If I were in your sh

"Jason,
If I were in your shoes, I'd go to my local Johnson/Evinrude dealer. Often they have these control boxes laying around. You may be able to pick one up for a reasonable cost.

Since outboards tend to run forever, an "old 75 hp Johnson" narrows it down to about about 40 model years. There were a number of vastly different control boxes used during that period. It would help to have more information or possibly pictures."

Back