Logo

Clunking in forward and reverse

osprey

I have a 2004 ocean series out

I have a 2004 ocean series outdrive with about 60hrs on it that has a clunking noise when you shift. Someone heard it the other day and said I needed a new outdrive. Is there an adjustment or something that can make this noise go away? Not familiar with outdrives at all.

"I am not familiar with those

"I am not familiar with those outdrives, but I believe shifting should be smooth. You may want to make sure the engine idle speed is not too high, and also that you have the correct type of oil in the outdrive."

Ok. Thanks. Can you adjust the

Ok. Thanks. Can you adjust the idle speed on a fuel injected motor just like a carb?

"The ECM monitors the idle spe

"The ECM monitors the idle speed and controls it via the air control valve. This is not adjustable, but it does not mean it could not be out of range. Don't know what engine you have, but for a V8 the idle RPM should be around 600. This is something you can check in the tachometer. If the RPM are OK, then you have to look for another cause for the hard shifting."

The engine is a Volvo Penta 5.

The engine is a Volvo Penta 5.0 GSXi . How would one go about lowering the idle speed if it is too high?

"Clint, as I said in my previo

"Clint, as I said in my previous post: the idle speed is not adjustable on a fuel injected engine. If it is out of range, my guess is that it could be due to a faulty IAC valve, or wiring, or ECM, or even the TPS. I say my guess because I am by no means an expert on fuel injected gasoline engines, but I have a good idea of how they work.

Now my question to you is: is the idle speed too high in your engine or not? If it is, that would explain the clunking; then you will either have to determine why the idle speed is high and try to fix the problem yourself (if you have the adequate tools and know-how), or otherwise take the boat to a VP shop. But if the idle speed is correct, then I do not understand the nature of your question."

"A 'clunk' noise is qu

"A 'clunk' noise is quite normal when you shift into forward or reverse on the Ocean Series like any other outdrive. I have the EVC system and the computer does the shifting, sounds exactly the same as the mechanical shifters."

Back