Logo

No Reverse

ldell

"I just bought an 88 model boa

"I just bought an 88 model boat with OMC Cobra & 7.5l Ford. The boat has been sitting & now it doesn't go into reverse. I took the outdrive off & found that I could get it to go into fwd & rev with the help of a prybar & a lil turning of the prop. The shift lever feels extra tough to move up & down though. Is this resistance normal? If not normal, any ideas as to what might be causing it? Any chance it might just be sticky due to lack of use. BTW, the oil is at proper level & looks like new oil, so everything should be lubed right?"

"Let the fun begin... It looks

"Let the fun begin... It looks as if I've got a water flow problem as well! Anyone know if corrosion in the manifolds & risers can be cleaned out in any way? I've come to the conclusion these things are really hard to find & expensive too! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Landon."

One way is to remove the pipe

One way is to remove the pipe plugs(if there are any) and run the engine . Watch the temp and work a stiff wire inside this may dislodge any small rust. Kevin

"Umm, so back to the original

"Umm, so back to the original question... Should the shift lever on the out-drive be hard to move? When I say hard to move, I mean like 2 foot prybar is my tool of choice. It seems like it would be pretty tough for a cable to put the kind of pressure I'm putting to get it into gear. BTW, I already have the new updated red shift cable on it too!"

No it shouldn't be very ha

No it shouldn't be very hard to move up or down so either there is crap in there binding it up or someone/somehow has bent it? Did someone try to take the lower off from the upper without removing the drive?

Sounds like the shift rod in t

Sounds like the shift rod in the outdrive may have gotten bent. If by hand with the outdriver off you can not easily shift gears holding on to the rod it is most likely the cause.

"Considering I just bought it,

"Considering I just bought it, I don't know if anyone's tried to remove the lower half with the upper still attatched. How do I remove the shift rod? I'm assuming once removed I can roll it on a flat surface to see if it's bent."

"Your going to need a manual,

"Your going to need a manual, to do it proper you need to remove the drive and then split the upper and lower, even though the shift rod top end looks like it's coming out of the upper it's really attached in the lower. It also requires a very specific height adjustment in order to line it up properly with the bell crank."

"Thanks Guys, guess I'll b

"Thanks Guys, guess I'll be pulling the drive off tomorrow! On a good note, I got the generator & a/c working today."

Back