Logo

Ignition

1filletnfool

"Minor issue - PBYCCE 5.0 GI -

"Minor issue - PBYCCE 5.0 GI - Engine starts, runs good BUT will not turn off when key is turned to off position!!! Power to coil is still there. New Ignition Switch. Did not move anything around. Just will not turn off. Have to pull coil wire off.

I know this is an easy question so thanks in advance......

Dave----"

It would appear that you have

It would appear that you have connected the ignition to the wrong terminal in the ignition switch. Pull the switch out and have a look at the wires & you will see what you have done wrong...

Or perhaps a faulty ignition relay?

That is exactly what I thought

That is exactly what I thought so I double checked and the connections are correct. So maybe it is the relay. Could this be the cause of my problem? Could it be the coil? Not sure..

Thanks Bro-

Dave

"I don't see the coil bein

"I don't see the coil being the problem, but rather whatever component feeds power to the coil.

I am unsure from your original post if the problem happened for first time after you canged the ignition switch, or if you changed the ignition switch because you had a problem. If you did not have a problem before changing the ignition switch and have not moved anything around, it would appear that the problem is in new igntion switch or the way you connected the wires. If the problem happened before you changed the switch, then you will have to find out which components feed the coil. Obviously, it would be helpful to have a wiring diagram."

"Thanks again, I thought it wa

"Thanks again, I thought it was the ignition. But is not. When i tested for power at the coil with the key on the on position there is power; when I turn to off position no power. When i start engine powers good ; when I turn key to "off position" to turn off the engine, power is still running to coil and engine still runs.

Could a relay be the problem? Not Sure"

"Dave, you are the one who can

"Dave, you are the one who can see what's going on on your boat. I'm afraid you will have to troubleshoot the problem yourself, preferably with the help of a repair manual (Seloc, for example). You need to look at the wiring diagram and try to find what could feed the ignition coil after you turn the key off. If this is beyond your abilities, you may have to take your boat to a mechanic."

Back