Logo

88b 125 force Steering Very Hard

N

nozrydr1

"First I'm new to this boa

"First I'm new to this boating, expect PWC but now I've decided to take up fishing in my old age. I just bought an 88 Bayliner Trophy, with a 125 Force, The boat is in great shape, engine was rebuilt last year and runs great, but the steering is really hard to turn and really un-smooth to turn, and gets harder the faster I go. I'm 6' 240 and at 25 mph I can barley move the steering wheel. My wife can't even turn the wheel at any speed. I've taken it to 2 boat repair shops, they can't find anything wrong. they've checked cables, greased everything, tested everything, but can't fix the problem. Putting power steering in was their advised (approx. $1000+.) maybe there's another way. any thoughts? Thanks much. P.S. steering works ok while on the trailer, stiff but livable."

"I have an 86 Bayliner with a

"I have an 86 Bayliner with a 125 and have the same problem. When I removed the steering cable from the motor the steering wheel and cables move freely, but the engine is VERY hard to turn.
I think there's a bearing or bushing where the engine pivots and I greased that with no relief
We need to know if there is a replaceable bearing or bushing on the motor pivot and how to replace it.
I think that's my problem
If you detach the cable from the motor and the wheel moves freely, you have the same problem
If not, you may need a new cable or rack unit"

"Thanks for the response. When

"Thanks for the response. When I detached the bar that is under the bar that engine slides on, steering and cables move freely, I can move the engine by hand and the steering wheel spins freely. On the trailer every thing seems not too bad a little stiff, but as soon as the engine is started in the water every thing gets stiff. I talked to another Mechanic today, (3rd one) he seems to think the helm may need to be replace. He thinks it maybe loose so the torque of the engine binds every thing up. Just a thought."

Sounds logical
My motor seems

Sounds logical
My motor seems tight all the time
Maybe someone here can add a bit more on changing the bearing or bushing at the motor?

Hi Guy's
I wish I could h

Hi Guy's
I wish I could help!
But it seems we all have steering problems.
I have a 1990 Maxum 21 ft. Bowrider with a
120 Force outboard on it.
My boat pulls very hard to the starboard
side when I let go of the wheel.
It takes both hands to bring it back to the left again. It isn't to bad when I am not on the throttle.
Mabe someone out there can give us all some good advise. Bill Doyle

"I agree with bildylj, anyone

"I agree with bildylj, anyone out there that can give advise please. My steering is so tight I'm thinking of selling the boat. I'm getting too old to fight the steering for a day of fishing. Look at the post by me Dennis Stephens and nozrydr1, for the problem. Thanks for reading my problem."

"You might check your steering

"You might check your steering wheel bushings or bearings. If worn out, the gear teeth may not mesh correctly causing a bind under load. Likewise worn teeth on the rack or pinion could have the same effect. This along with torque steer can make turning difficult. Once worn out grease would do little to help. Also check for loss motion in the wheel. You may have a means of adjustment on your model.
If your binding in the tube the cable runs through at the engine end, remove the end seal and try flushing it with mineral spirits while working it back an forth. I've used a small grease gun filled with spirits pumping right into the zerk. Messy but <u>sometimes</u> effective. Old grease can dry up and get hard allowing corrosion in the tube.
Several posts in the past brought up the question of how to remove the cable end from the tube due to corrosion. Some have resorted to heating the tube before they were able to remove it. So make sure its clean and no bends or dents. Don't forget to use recommended grease to reinstall.
The engine swivel bushings should also be flushed out and greased.
Good luck,
DS"

"Dave Thanks for all your advi

"Dave Thanks for all your advise. I'll get on that tomorrow. It will be tight getting to the helm, The way my boat is set up there is only about 12-18" between the door on the center console and the fiberglass box that the seats are mounted to. and the box is part of the boat and can't be removed, but I'll give it a try. Thanks again. Dennis P.S. maybe the steering wheel comes out through the top. (I hope)"

"Everything is free up to the

"Everything is free up to the motor
When disconnected from the motor the steering wheel turns easily
The motor itself is very hard to turn, even when unhooked
I was told it might be a "kingpin" where the motor swings on the mounting bracket
I was also told that "heat" might help
But I'm hesitant to try it
I sprayed it liberally with WD40 and greased till the cows came home, but so far, it's still tight"

"Joe
I've been dealing wi

"Joe
I've been dealing with the same thing since I bought the boat, My third machanic thinks it's broken motor mounts, (lower),He's replacing them today. Pull the lower unit backwards it should not move. mine would move a few inches. I'll let you know if the new mounts helps. Also I've been told not (NOT) to use WD40 on the boat moving parts."

"The motor seems tight (no

"The motor seems tight (no play in the mounts)
I think the "kingpin" (if that's what it's called) may be the culprit
I just need to find out if there's an easier fix than pulling the motor and replacing it
I'll have to see if there's an alternative to WD40
That did seem to help a bit
Thanks,
Joe"

I had an 88 Bayliner with a 12

I had an 88 Bayliner with a 125 and after about 10 years I had the same steering problem and after lots of trials found my problem was in the steering wheel. There was a bushing worn that took the slack to the right causing the segment gears to tighten up making left turns a bear. I usually did my own repairs but bailed out on this one and took it back to the dealer who found the problem and fixed it. Maxum boats are also made by US Marine so it could have the same problem. Kept the boat 8 more years and had no more trouble. I never would have guessed it to be the steering wheel.

"HI JOHN, ON YOUR 88 BAYLINER,

"HI JOHN, ON YOUR 88 BAYLINER, WAS THE WORN BUSHING AT THE PINION (RACK AND PINION), OR SOMETHING ELSE. I HAVE A 97 BAYLINER 19 FT WALKAROUND CUDDY W/125 FORCE W/SAME STEERING PBLMS. THANKS.

ALSO TO ANY ONE ELSE, JUST HAD PBLM OF LOSS OF POWER AND EXTREME DIFFICULTY GETTING UP ON PLANE, BUT NOT REALLY RUNNING THAT BAD, FOUND BROKEN REED VALVE ON TOP CARB, BOUGHT USED REEDS/CAGE ASSEMBLY ON EBAY $ 25. PROBLEM SOLVED."

Back