Logo

Crusader 270 Heating Problems

S

SilvertonRay

"Running a Silverton with dual

"Running a Silverton with dual 270s ... Port is standard rotation and running 165/170 tops. Starboard is counter rotation and running 190/195 too close for comfort. Engines were overhauled in Nov last year. New trans and new vdrives.

When sitting at the dock, I took off the caps to watch the water flow. Flow looks good on the port, on the starboard, the more gas I give her, the less water flow I am getting, which I assume is the problem.

Impeller looks good - Had the local shop peep the pump and all seemed well. The strainers are all clog free, and I had boiled out the exchangers at same time of the overhaul, but not checked at the moment.

Looking for ideas and suggestions - Maybe someone has had the same problems along the way. Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, thoughts, theories and suggestions!"

"Boiled them out - Cleaning pr

"Boiled them out - Cleaning process. Cleans and Clears the tubes, generally, of any debris. Several ways to do it. One of many is with the use of Muratic acid."

Check the suction hose on the

Check the suction hose on the water pump. I had a problem where the hose was old and would collapse with the increase in RPM's it took a while for me to find it even after someone told me to check it. I watched the hose squeeze together as I increased RPM's

Also look for ANY kind of air

Also look for ANY kind of air leak. The slightest air leak reduces water flow and cooling effect dramatically.

Jeff

"SilvertonRay.....is there a d

"SilvertonRay.....is there a different or special water circulating pump for the counter rotation engine???? When I replaced my water pumps on both engines I got a universal direction circulating water pump. Raw water pumps uses rubber impeller, so rotation direction not an issue...but circulating water pump(fresh water cooled engines) that rotates backwards may be an issue. My counter rotating engine has always run 10-20 degrees hotter. With 160 temp on "good" engine I'll assume you have FWC as well. Raw water cooling t-stats are usually around 20 degrees colder that FWC stats."

Back