Logo

Volvo Penta 2003 engine 1986 Alternator maintenance

amica_35

After 22 years of working with

After 22 years of working without any maintenance I wonder what I should do to make sure the alternator works still properly in the future. Is anyone familiar with maintenance for this alternator? Txs Rob

"Normally it does not need muc

"Normally it does not need much of service, except for keeping all connections clean. Corrosion in the electric connections is what kills most alternators."

"Morten, Txs for your reaction

"Morten, Txs for your reaction. Do you know whether I have to change carbon/contact brushes for this type of alternator. If any? Rob (from Netherlands)"

I have a 1990 Volvo 2003. I j

I have a 1990 Volvo 2003. I just replaced my alternator with one I purchased on e-bay for about US $175. The company was Rarelectrical and they are located in Canada.

My problem was actually a broken ground wire but I decided to replace it since it was out and looked pretty bad.

"Do you know whether I hav

"Do you know whether I have to change carbon/contact brushes for this type of alternator."

Often a minimum brush length is specified but there is nothing about the alternator in the workshop manual. Sometimes the brushes are part of the regulator sometimes they are quite separate

By contrast the manual for the 2010 2020 2030 series specifies a minimum brush length of 5 mm and also give details of testing the alternator.

Apart from brush replacement there is no routine maintenance usually specified for alternators. If they fail it is usually either the brushes the regulator or the rectifier although I did have to replace the slip rings in one.

There are brushes but they com

There are brushes but they come already attached to the regulator. Paris/Rhone probably does have a length. but have not seen it in print.

Back