Logo

20 hp mercury outboard

apcconstruction

I have a mid 80's 20 hp me

I have a mid 80's 20 hp mercury outboard and want to change it from a pull start to a electric start can this be done and what do I do

"Scott, can be done but can be

"Scott, can be done but can be pricey.

If the flywheel has a ring gear already that saves you 50 or so bucks.

Aftermarket starter about 100, starter solenoid - another 35 bucks, another 35 bucks or so if you want to install an electric choke - throw in the cost of a battery, some cables, starter switch or key switch and neutral safety switch and the set-up could easily top 300 bucks. Add another 50-200 bucks (depending on what is already on the motor) if you want to add a charging system for the battery.

On the positive side, the set-up itself is not complicated and you can do it yourself with a wrench and a screwdriver...

If you are still considering it, post your serial and I can look up some part numbers for you..."

"Is it a tiller or remote? Me

"Is it a tiller or remote? Merc sell a kit for about 225. Includes fly wheel ring , starter ,neutral switch, charge coil (tiller) start button"

It will have to be purchased f

It will have to be purchased from a merc dealer. Howevery I have a lot of parts for small merc.s I will compare your serial number with the engine parts i have and see if i have one that will work for you. What part of the country do you live in?

"If you start this project, be

"If you start this project, be sure and use lock tight on the 4 screws that secure the flywheel ring. The start button and the clip that holds it on the tiller handle" does/not come with the kit. You will get (1) fly wheel ring) (2)(charge coil)(3) neutral switch (4) starter and cables,(5)starter solenoid. All bolts and instruction included in a new kit. I dont have start button and handle clip,but may have all the rest, if your motor is compatible with the one,s I have ."

Ok I will get back with you.

Ok I will get back with you. I am busy now changing out a power head. But will let you know .If I have it I will ship it to you . 100 will buy it. I will ship it to you and I will trust you to pay me. frank lol h a n d . Ps I will order a start button and clip(wholesale) from mec and include .(about 20 bucks I think)

"Yes you might do that, You

"Yes you might do that, You may have the old style tiller handel, The older model was (slim) and round just past the rubber handel. late model handels are flat on the top and taper. There may be a different type clip that holds the start button."

Hi Frank
I thank you for all

Hi Frank
I thank you for all you have done. I will take care of my obligation
Scott Hartman
920 S. Oleander St.
Longwood Fl. 32750

"The clip that holds ,the star

"The clip that holds ,the start button "clips" or snaps on/to the bottom of the control arm that turns the side shift mechanism"

"No problem Scott. If Mommy &#

"No problem Scott. If Mommy (wife/E) and me get to Florida on one of our camping trips, We will stop by for a cup of coffee."

"Very happy to find this board

"Very happy to find this board, I am re/tired and still work on a few motors" for freinds and my older customers, Lots of rip/off.s up here. trying to butcher there motors or scam them. Real jerks /ville. The out/board mechanic is a dieing breed. Hay/wireing and patching is the norm by the shade/trees up here. 'Gee" what a shame. Perfection is my Profession is my motto. (smile) hand"

"I have been reading some of t

"I have been reading some of the post , Some of the the information is //very// good and accurate and the poster,s are acute out/board mechanics. For posters who post answers based on "past" experiences.or just got lucky with a fix. Should state they are only supplying past experiences and that a host of other things could cause the same problem. The wrong paradigm of o/b repair can cause more problems. JMO"

"Frank, hope you stick around

"Frank, hope you stick around and pass on some of your knowledge. There is about 3 or 4 of us that regularly try to answer questions on the Merc board. Only 1 - Bandit is/was a certified Merc tech, the rest of us could certainly use the help because although myself and J.B. have worked on particular series of motors for years, neither one of us had the benefit of "book school".

So if you can stay and help it would definately be appreciated..."

"Sure! I may be absent from t

"Sure! I may be absent from time to time , Little Bit.(my wife) and I may be exploring this beautiful country of ours. Always get a manual b/4 starting a repair. To do it right. Never deviate from the spects. Be careful when using there torque specifications ,on the smaller bolts . TO HIGH. You will pull the threads . Make sure you have ! inch and pds torque wrenches that are calibrated. Use there recommend ,lubes. sealers/ lock tights ,on all internal and external assembly procedures"

Back