Logo

Speedometer

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"My speedo just stopped workin

"My speedo just stopped working one day and hasn't moved since then so what could be wrong?? it is the kind with the tube and the little white plastic tube on the transome. how does this thing work so I can trouble shoot it... does it work off suction or pressure or something else I want to know so I can add pressure or suction to check it and the guage manually,,, also how is the transome piece supposed to be possitioned. it moves up and down but it very stiff so it will stay where i put it...."

"It works off ram water pressu

"It works off ram water pressure.
The plastic piece goes in the full down position when in the water.
Likely the tube is plugged with some foreign crap.
Try disconnecting and blowing backwards.
You can put 30 or 40 psig on this line safely.
If it wont unplug, you will have to replace it.

Rod"

The rubber tubing is run along

The rubber tubing is run along w/wiring harnesses and can get a kink in it or even split open. You can disconnect the gauge and attach a short tube to blow into and see if the gauge works. Then do as Rod said and put compressed air in the tube from the gauge end to blow out any debris.

"Over time, dirt deposits from

"Over time, dirt deposits from running in muddy water gradually settles in the pitot tube pickup head and drys, restricting or plugging the water pressure from driving the guage. About every other year I have to take a small wire and clean out the pitot opening. Sometime I have to pull the rubber/plastic tubing off and rod the pickup from both ends to get it clear. Only once in 50 years have I had to replace a guage.

The pickup does pivot to protect it from being broken off on accidental contact with trailer bunker or a dragging ski rope (etc). As mentioned above, the end of the rubber/plastic tubing often splits, but sometimes has enough slack that a fresh cutoff end will fix without major splice or replacement."

"ok Guy when you say blow in t

"ok Guy when you say blow in the guage, you mean with an air compressor or by mouth pressure??"

i would use a little compresse

i would use a little compressed air or use your mouth for the gauge and compressed air for the hose back to the pitot tube on the stern

Back