Logo

Johnson 120hp 1985 no compression

keewee

"Hello all,firstly thanks joe

"Hello all,firstly thanks joe on the starting procedures,i did eventually get it going and it did start very well when warmed up but still had the same problem the next day when it was cold,so i have taken it to my local dealer to check out,he to had a hard time starting but eventually got it going to check the electrial charging system and temp switches etc which all check out. The problem now is this is a brand new rebuilt engine and has only done about 20mins running we havent given it a water test yet. the compressions were...
1/105
2/120
3/105
4/115
why is there a big difference /
While the engine was running in the tank to warm up at 1800rpm it stopped which puzzeled the mechanic so he did another compression test and found #3 had no compression Mmmmmm he also noticed that water and exaust was leaking from the power head base any info on this would be greatly appreciated ,keep up the good work men"

"Tony.... On various engine, i

"Tony.... On various engine, it's normal to have a slight bit of difference in compression between one bank and the other, HOWEVER there is a 15 psi compression difference between the highest and lowest reading cylinder which is not good.

You also have a powerhead water leak and a hard starting engine, all on a engine that has just been rebuilt. And now a report of no compression on one cylinder, which may be in error, however.......

My advice is to tear that powerhead down in order to inspect it thoroughly as something is amiss. Also, while you're at it, find out why the powerhead blew in the first place and correct that before attempting to run it again as that no doubt is part of the hard starting problem (stator melt down?).

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Thanks Joe also was there an u

Thanks Joe also was there an update to this engine reguarding themostat housing mods and the pick up of unburnt fuel mixtures in the sump.
Thanks

Back