Logo

Dual to Single Carb Conversion AQ151C

Paul I don't know anything

Paul I don't know anything about the water or manual choke; I have the electric. I connected that +ve to the +ve side of the coil and ran a ground wire to a good grounding point on the engine. Works just as advertised.

Pay attention to how your throttle cable connects to your present carbs and order the right one with your purchase. Base connectors are available for ether side or bottom cable approaches.

"Hi, Really interested in this

"Hi, Really interested in this carb conversion, I have a Fjord twin engine cruiser, and have fitted 2 volvo B230e engines, which came out of a volvo 740. I have done some 450 hours on these engines, and they have been excellent. The most annoying thing is the carbs, the cold start was a problem, last year I redesigned the ignition systems, I now have 2 systems, i can now program 2 different map curves, which has solved most of the problem. so my interest in the webber kit is more from a fuel economy view. at present I am getting 2.4 - 2.7 mpg from these higher compression engines, for a cruising speed of around 22knots (boats weight is approx 3.5 tons laden) I am interested as to what fuel saving you might be getting from the webber kit.
Cheers Mike."

"Mike, I didn't get around

"Mike, I didn't get around to checking my millage with the Solex carbs so I have no way to compare. However, Weber offers a jet kit that allows you to change the engines high and low rpm jets to obtain max efficiency and their engineers will assist you in doing this. I've got to think that I'm getting more bang for my gas based solely on greatly improved performance."

"Posted from another thread...

"Posted from another thread.....I'm a 140A owner who is seriously considering moving from the dual Solex to the two barrel set-up. What I am wondering is this....will putting a two barrel (via adapter) on the one barrel manifold give the same performance as using the Redline/Weber conversion set-up?

I do not consider myself a gearhead or have any expertise in carbs, however, it seems to me that the opening (carb plate) on the single barrel manifold was designed to handle the CFM's for a one barrel carb and by putting a two barrel on the same manifold would be trying to squeeze more CFM's into the opening than it was designed to handle.

Now, the Redline/Weber manifold conversion has a larger opening to accomodate the two barrel with the increased CFM's. Further, it has some baffles which would seem to help atomize the air/gas mixture.

I may be totaly out in left field on this one, so, any input would be appreciated"

"I would think performance wou

"I would think performance would not be quite as good. But more importantly can you fit the adapter and the carb in the doghouse. On my boat the carb would be too tall and not fit. I have no choice but to get a new manifold as well.

Have a great day,

Rob."

"I don't know what the cos

"I don't know what the cost saving is by using an adapter but, after putting money into the carb I thought it best to go all the way and get the kit so I could be sure it would work. I would have considered an adapter that would cover both carb ports on the original manifold and Weber is considering offering such an adapter. Their concern is room under the hood for it. "

"Robert D.,

Adapter vs. kit

"Robert D.,

Adapter vs. kit. First thing. The stock single carb manifold is set up for a 44mm throat Solex. There's at least one example that was posted about a year ago from a guy named Xavier (El Pescador mentioned this recently). He had an adapter made by a machinist and put his weber on top--worked well for him.

In my case I'm adapting a 32/36 (Progressive) 2- barrel Weber. The primary is 32mm sitting on top of a 44mm hole in the manifold. When it's kicked into WOT there may be a slight restriction--as both barrels are opened--but I'd guess it's still a big improvement over that old stock single throat Solex.

Without a doubt I'd say the Weber Converion kit is the best way to go if you've got the $$. Their manifold is made for the carb. I just happened to get a really good deal on my little factory rebuilt Weber (under $100), the manifold was basically free and my friend made a top quality adapter using CAD/CAM as a favor. So I'm going with that.
The older weber carbs are used on a variety of cars back in the 70's. If you like to track things down and don't mind the extra tinkering --nd perhaps a little loss in performance from the Weber Kit--AND SAVE SOME $$ then it's an option.

The most important thing for me is realiability, EASY starting, smooth performance and fuel economy. Maximum H.P. or speed comes secondary to the above list for me."

"For the handyman and tinkerer

"For the handyman and tinkerer on a tight budget:

Here's a few photos of the adapter my friend made for me with the 1970 factory-rebuilt (vintage) Weber 32/36 sitting on top. Note that it's just sitting on the spacer and not bolted on yet.

216616.jpg

216617.jpg

216618.jpg

"If women don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy."
biggrin.gif

Red Green"

"I just got my Weber kit today

"I just got my Weber kit today - for any guys in the uk, I got it from www.webcon.co.uk. But it looks like the throttle linkage will be the main issue to deal with. If anyone has any photos of the linkage looking side on to the carb where the linkage fits on to the throttle activator, I'd appreciate a look before I start assembly."

"We fitted the Weber kit yeste

"We fitted the Weber kit yesterday and after a bit of work the boat is now idling great. However we did discover an issue which would have contributed to the poor running of the solexes. There are some plugs on the block on the inlet manifold side which were perforated and causing a vacuum leak. We plugged these with some brass plugs and gasket sealant and the idle settled down nicely. But I'm still happy to have changed to the Weber, which is bound to be easier to tune and more reliable than the twin solexes.

I need to make up a couple of brackets for the throttle linkage and cable mount but so far it's looking good."

Back