Logo

Dual to Single Carb Conversion AQ151C

"It is the Webber conversion I

"It is the Webber conversion I'm mostly interested in (should have said that in the first place) and I'd like to research the pros and cons and compare the performance and maintenance to my dual Solex setup. If I change it will be to a NEW carb, I've about had it with finding parts for old carbs."

Hi; Sorry guys computer was no

Hi; Sorry guys computer was not availabe for a few days. The weber instalation was a normal parts change of manifold & carb. I had to make abracket to anchor throttle linkage and adapt fuel pump safety hose and crankcase vent into flame arrester. It is avery simple instalaton and only takes acouple of hours. You will really love it if you don't like wasting all that time worming it up & trying not to over rev acold engine. I couldn't be happier . To me it was worth the money made a new boat.

"Thanks for posting Lee, A cou

"Thanks for posting Lee, A couple more questions...from what company or outlet did you buy the manifold and carb? I believe you did say that your engine is an AQ151? with a B23 Volvo engine? Finally (for now
happy.gif
) what did the whole thing cost?

Thanks, Tom"

"Hi Tom: [url=""]www.REDLINEWE

"Hi Tom: www.REDLINEWEBER.com will give you all the information you are looking for with huge pictures. The kit is #861. I bought my unit last year on e/bay for $675.00 . Hope this is what you are looking for.Any other questions I might be able to answer please let me know. Lee:"

"I keep hitting brick walls. I

"I keep hitting brick walls. I called the redline weber folks, Tom Engle, and he told me they have kits for the slant/four B21 engine or the B20 engine. However, our AQ151 engines are B23s.

Lee Stein bought the slant four B21 engine kit (Kit number 861) for his AQ151 B23 engine and it fit. This is news to the Weber guy.

Could it be that the intake manifold on the B21 and the B23 are interchangeable or at least have the same bolt pattern??"

Hi Tom; It is possible as I sa

Hi Tom; It is possible as I said I had to rig abracket for the throttle cable. The unit is sure on my B230. Best Lee;

"Thanks Lee. All the research

"Thanks Lee. All the research I've done tells me that the only significant difference between the B21 and the B23 is the cylinder displacement. Based on that the 861 kit should fit.
happy.gif
. If I decide to go this route I'd appreciate a picture of your throttle cable bracket!

Cheers, Tom"

"I just bit the bullet and ord

"I just bit the bullet and ordered the Redline Webber conversion
happy.gif
. If you are able Lee, I'd very much appreciate a picture of your throttle cable bracket and any notes on its construction. An email would be great, just check my member info for my email address. No use re-inventing the wheel
wink.gif

Tom"

"I just ordered the K861 kit f

"I just ordered the K861 kit for my AQ 145A. The only difference between the B21 and B23 blocks are the piston bore, so these kits will fit either a 21 or 23.
Lee, I would also be interested in seeing the pics.
Darrow, where would you like me to send the old manifold and carbs? You can fight with them, I'm taking the easy route!"

Finished install yesterday. It

Finished install yesterday. It was very easy but several minor problems. The kit does not have a bracket for the throttle cable. You have to move it from a verticle position under the manifold to a horizontal position on the port side. I used the throttle bracket off the old system and made a bracket to hold it in the new position. The kit did not contain a barb for the fuel pump to fit the new fuel line or a fitting to go from the throttle cable to the new carb linkage. The siphon hose from the fuel pump to the base of the air filter did not fit properly and had to be reworked. Instructions were lacking. I still dont know how to wire the elec. choke. Does it get power all the time or should it be wired to a momentary switch?
Motor started right up and runs well. I will let you know when I take it out.

"Harvey, can you post a photo

"Harvey, can you post a photo or two of your mods? My kit is supposed to arrive on Monday!

Thanks, Tom"

"OK, finished making bracket f

"OK, finished making bracket for throttle cable. I opened the hole in the manifold where the oil dipstick bolts to 5/16 and put a 4" bolt and nut to hold dipstick. On top of the nut I had to place about 1.5" of washers to rise the hidth of a piece of 1" angle iron to which I welded to original throtle linkage. I then ran another piece of angle iron from the top hole of the thermastat housing to the linkage and welded that for support. Seems to work well. I will try to poat a pic."

"Harvey, in regard to the elec

"Harvey, in regard to the electric choke, I've been told that you can run a wire from the +ve side of the coil to the choke. Down side is that if you leave the key on for any length of time the choke will heat up. So, key on and start. Maybe someone else can suggest a better electrical source than the coil?

How did you overcome the dissimilar throttle cable connection to the Weber?? I agree with you about the lack of instructions
sad.gif

Tom"

"I outlined the cable linkage

"I outlined the cable linkage bracket above. For the connection from the cable to the new linkage, I had a friend at a machine shop take a 1/4" square stock, thread one end to screw onto cable and drill a hole on the other end for the screw on the new carb.
You can run the + wire for the choke to a oil pressure switch so you will only have power if engine is running.
Harvey"

"Thanks for the feedback Harve

"Thanks for the feedback Harvey. I've just emailed Weber to ask why they could not provide a bell crank to accommodate the existing throttle cable's direction of throw and its terminal connectors. Rerouting the cable is a pain.

Now if I could just locate the oil pressure sensor....apparently it is near or on the oil cooler but I haven't seen it. Anyone have a hint?
kiss.gif

Tom"

"Oil pressure sensor location?

"Oil pressure sensor location? If it's the same as a 2.1 liter block (like an AQ125 or AQ140 etc) the oil pressure sending unit should be just about 2 inches forward of the Spin-On oil filter. Again, if it's the same as the 2.1 liter, the unit is about 2" in diameter with a wire connecting on the top center of it and the whole thing has a black rubber covering."

"Oh, forgot to say, yes, some

"Oh, forgot to say, yes, some of them are mounted on the oil filter/oil cooler housing itself. Either there or on the block just forward, as I said on the last post."

"Found it! The oil sensor that

"Found it! The oil sensor that is
happy.gif
. Thanks folks. However, the carb directions dictate that a ground wire be connected to the electric choke housing (a screw) to complete the circuit. Surely the whole darn carb and attachments are grounded through contact with the engine?? What am I missing here??

Tom"

"[IMG][url=""]http://i26.tinyp

"
url]

Anyone who has purchased this conversion or who is contemplating doing so should note the orientation of the bell crank in the attached pic, it strokes downwards, not across the face of the carb.

Many of our AQ engine's throttle cables approach the solex carbs installation from under the engine and the cable pulls downwards on the Solex bell crank. The configuration shown for the Weber does the same negating the requirement to relocate the throttle cable.

My bracket is in the mail and I'll post a pic of the installation when I get'er dun next week. I'll also provide info on where to get the bracket for those who may be interested.

Tom

Tom"

"Glad to hear the install is g

"Glad to hear the install is going well. Interested to hear how it performs. I am also contemplating making the change but that is a fair chunk of change. Having no choke on my existing carb makes it a real pain to start. The only way to increase rpm is to put it into gear which is not an option at times. I just increase the idle speed screw until she warms up.

Have a great day,

Rob."

"Re: electric choke... I have

"Re: electric choke... I have no idea how this particular electric choke works, i.e., is power supposed to be applied to this all the time the engine is running or only applied when the engine is cold!

In any event, while I do not have the wiring for the 151 handy, MOST oil sensors work as follows.. If its an oil pressure light:+12 volts from light is applied to the sensor on a single wire. When there is oil pressure, the sensor closes as a short circuit to ground. When the engine is running, there is NO voltage at the sensor, i.e., its ground.

If its an oil pressure meter:+12 volts from light is applied to the sensor on a single wire. When there is oil pressure, the sensor which contains a variable resistance element closes as a lower reisitance to ground as oil pressure increases. When the engine is running, there is a variable voltage at the sensor depending on the pressure. If you hook the choke to the sensor at this point in this scenario, then you will have a false reading on the oil pressure guage, i.e, it will read the current thru the choke.

Suggest you ask vendor for some more info on where to wire the choke.

RE: ground... Yes is should be grounded to the engine, however, most carbs have a gasket under them to the engine...This can result in a poor ground... Don't stint on 6 inches of wire."

"Great post Robert! I've s

"Great post Robert! I've sent an email to Weber asking them to recommend a 12V electric choke source for the Red Block engine. Sounds like a coil hook-up could cause problems with the coil
angry.gif
. Hard to know just what to do.

Robj..Yes it is a fair chunk, just how big is yet to be determined. Wait until this is all calculated out and I'll put you (or any one else) in touch with the proper people or if you like, you can search it out for yourself on the WorldPac website.

I have a few money saving suggestions for the engineers but only the size of the market will determine if they are feasible to put into production."

"Thank you for posting the res

"Thank you for posting the results, Harvey. Some time ago I posted that I had my doubs about the claims made by Weber. However, you are the second or third person I recall posting positive results, so I guess that my doubts have been cleared.

First it was Pertronix, now it is Weber. I wonder what will be the next major improvement for the old Volvo Penta 4 bangers. Perhaps nitrous oxide or a hydrogen cell? (just kidding)
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
"

Back