Logo

2002 DF140 four stroke occasionally radically loses RPMS when cruising approx 4000 RPMS

cosbyrec

"Engine was just professionall

"Engine was just professionally tuned up:new spark plugs,new low and high pressure fuel filters, new fuel/water separator. Problem existed before these measures; still exists now. It only happens every now and then, and engine doesn't stop completely. I may not have a problem the rest of the trip. Any ideas? I'm a frustrated charter captain."

sounds like either your rev li

sounds like either your rev limiter or your overheat saftey kicking in.......it shuts the motor down and runs on less cylnders....are there any lights flashing on the tach when it happens?

No flashing lights on tach. I

No flashing lights on tach. I had no problems today during five hour charter and running approx 15 miles.

"Today it was fluctuating RPMS

"Today it was fluctuating RPMS really badly. When I had a customer squeeze the bulb, the engine smoothed out. Tomorrow I replace the fuel line and bulb and connector on engine side of the fuel/water separator. Then we shall see!"

I have an 03 DF 115 doing the

I have an 03 DF 115 doing the same thing. I am replacing the fuel line and primer bulb today. We'll see what happens.

"I have been having a simular

"I have been having a simular problem with a df140 from 05 that is on a Sea Pro. But have noticed that it starts to act up when the weather gets hot. In the morning it is fine, but when the air temp gets in the mid 80's it starts acting up.

Engine cranks fine and idels fine in the morning. Stop to fish and the air temp goes up and then restart the engine fine. Get the boat on plane and run at 4k rpm for about 45 seconds then it acts as though there is no fuel. Starts to sputter and die. Crank the engine back up and it runs fine after that until I stop it to fish again.

I have changed primer bulbs, fuel filter (low pressure only), fuel water seperator and plugs. Engine continues to have the same problem.

It seemed to me like it was getting vapor locked maybe? Checked that my engine vent isn't clogged and even shorted my vent hose so gas couldn't accumulate in a sagged line."

Back