Logo

Ford 23 marine engine question

bthawkfan

"I purchased a boat (1989

"I purchased a boat (1989 Forester Phantom 166 w/ford 2.3 engine) last year from a person saying it ran great. I got it on the water in october before winterizing it and found out the seller was less than truthful. I didn't pay a great deal of money on the boat (less than $2500) and have less than $500 invested in it at this point. By the way, there is no way of finding the seller and even if I did, the money will be gone I'm sure! The boat storage/repair place found that one of the cylinders does not have compression. The boat is in excellent shape, except for the engine. This boat dealer/repair place said the last rebuild for this engine (several years ago) was $3500. I 've got a price of $4,000 for a total engine replacement from another marina. Both places tell me they wouldn't mess with the boat and take my losses and tried to sell me another boat instead. When I did have the boat running in october, it showed no signs of heating up outside the water (using proper water intake) during the testing at all rpms. When I got it on the water, it started just fine, backed it out and got it going and around 2000 rpm, the engine started sputtering and had no power. It got to the point where the engine would quit and not restart until after it sat for a while.

This is the question...should I just tuck my tail between my legs and say I got taken and get a different boat, or should I fix it knowing I'll never recoup the cost of the engine fixing/replacement. To fix the boat, I figure I'd have a total of $6,500 to $7,000 in a boat that is worth only $4,500 on a good day."

"just go to the wreckers, and

"just go to the wreckers, and get a 2.3 long block out of a late 80's Mustang...take your compression tester. I would budget $300. Swap in brass core plugs, swap all marine parts over, and put it together and then sell it."

"Any 2.3 ford engine used in m

"Any 2.3 ford engine used in mustangs, even rangers up to 91 will work. No compression in one cylinder is usually a burnt valve and just a valve job would fix it. You don't need to replace the whole engine. Just pull the head off and take it to an Automotive Machine shop. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred."

Back