Logo

Repower 1972 28b Bertram Gas to Diesel

C

Carole Mannion

"I've been reading all the

"I've been reading all the prior articles I could find here on gas to diesel conversions. I'm the happy owner (21 years) of a 1972 28'Bertram flybridge cruiser. I bought her shortly after she'd been repowered from the original 228's to Merc 260's (350 chevy smallblock v8's). I upgraded the shafts from 1" to 1-1/4". She's done well by me all these years. I live S Shore Long Island, and love to fish offshore. Been toying with the idea of a repower (my Bert weighs in at a bit over 9,000lbs) for years....but money was always a concern. Now with the state mandating 10 per cent ethanol in gasoline, there's a problem with marine fiberglass tanks built prior to 1980 self-destructing due to the ethanol -- so I have to either repower or replace the tank. Since I've always wanted to repower, I'm leaning in that direction. Any suggestions? My local Cummins guy was trying to foist a pair of cummins 4BT 3.9litre non-marine engines "recon" on me, but I haven't been able to find anything on prior marine installations, and I'm just not comfortable with that. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Carole in Freeport Pls. reply to me @ [email protected]. Thanks!"

"I'm looking at buying a 1

"I'm looking at buying a 1995 tiara 3600 express and repowering her with yanmar diesels. The local Yanmar dealer is Bayside Diesel of Mystic, ct. Does anyone have any experience with them?"

Back