Logo

Edelbrock carbs

pete31

Regular Contributor
"Gentlemen, hopefully this wil

"Gentlemen, hopefully this will help anyone who is contemplating switching their tired old Carter AFB"s for the Edelbrock marine carbs, I just installed a pair of the 600 cfm units on my 318"s in my 71 Trojan 30, today was the first ride of the year, let me say this, the carbs have bought this old girl back to life, it took off like a ski boat, on plane & up to 30 mph in under 20 secs, with a full water tank, quater tanks of fuel & me at the helm. Now have to check the economy. Money well spent..
Pete."

"Peter, did you opt for new in

"Peter, did you opt for new intake manifolds? If so, what did you use? If not, what shape where the old manifolds in? i.e. rust, etc. I want to make the switch at the end of this season to Edelbrocks."

"The Edelbrocks bolt right up

"The Edelbrocks bolt right up to an AFB manifold. And, yes, they DO get better gas mileage.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the good news Jeff

"Thanks for the good news Jeff, I'm thinking of switching to Edelbrock manifolds as well, the old cast ones are getting really rusty, The one issue I have is the twin impeller set up I have for cooling, means I'll have to find a good shop to modify the aluminum manifolds, they certainly are much cheaper than the cast units.
Pete."

"I hope you have FW Cooling!

"I hope you have FW Cooling! If not, don't go with aluminum manifolds.

Jeff"

Jeff:
The aluminum intake sho

Jeff:
The aluminum intake should be fine in fresh water lakes. Buick and GM Diesel both made aluminum block engines used in boats and most outboards are aluminum. Is it the dissimilar metals that we need to worry about?

...."Is it the dissimilar

...."Is it the dissimilar metals that we need to worry about?"

Correct. And I can assure you that NO diesel Marine engine was ever raw water cooled!
The Buick and GM diesels are fresh water cooled.

Jeff

"Have to call you on that one

"Have to call you on that one Jeff, one of our marina's owners has a 42 ft Portofino with the V8 cats in it, that are raw water cooled, helped him replace the hoses & sea cocks"

"I am new to this post, what a

"I am new to this post, what a great find. I just rebuilt the carter afb on my 318, some improvement but I am seriously considering the edelbrocks. What is the proper way to adjust the two idle screws on the carters.

thanks..."

"turn them in ( clockwise

"turn them in ( clockwise ) to lean out the mixture, turn them till you hear the engine note change, then turn back the other way ( counter clockwise) about a 1/4 turn, Go for the Edelbrocks, just done my first long run of the year, a real mixture of sea conditions , from flat calm to a good 6 ft swell, & they used less fuel than the same trip last year in calm weather."

"Thanks Pete,
Made the adjust

"Thanks Pete,
Made the adjustments, sounds about as good as it is going to with these carbs.
I have a 1979 32ft Marinette Hardtop express with stock (twin) 318 Chryslers. Did you need any modification to install the Edelbrocks(i.e.Intake, Linkages etc...)? Is the 600cfm the best match for these engines?
Thanks to everyone..."

"The choke will be electric in

"The choke will be electric instead of mechanical like yours. Just wire it to the upstream (12 volt) side of the ballast resistor, not to the coil wire.

You may have to tap the base of the carb to install a 5/8" hose fitting for the PCV hose. There is a hole cast into the new carb but it doesn't go all the way through and needs to be drilled through.

The Edelbrock 1409 600 CFM is the right match for the small block Chryslers."

"Here's a picture showing

"Here's a picture showing the hole at the base in the center:

191757.jpg
"

"That's supposed to be the

"That's supposed to be the vent tube.

Here's the deal: The engine sucks air from the flame arrestor into the motor. The air flows through the motor, carrying away acid-producing moisture, and exits via the PCV valve, which is connected by another rubber hose to the carb or manifold (for a vacuum source).

This is essential to prevent acid and sludge build up--especially in a marine engine with the moist environment.

Jeff

PS to Gary: Another Marinetter! Welcome to the club."

"I too am thinking of switchin

"I too am thinking of switching out my carbs, just have a few questions.
1. are the Edelbrocks also 2 barrel,
2. From what I read they should bolt to the existing intake, and
3.the carbs I have now don't have electic choke, do all the new one's come with the electric choke.
Anyone know if I can get these carbs in Canada, if so where can I get them from.

Thank you in advance.

Gerald."

The Edlebrock 1409 marine carb

The Edlebrock 1409 marine carb for 318/340 and 360 cu in small block chryslers is a 4 barrel. The 1410 is for Big Block 440 cu. in. Chryslers and is also a 4 barrel.

The original Carter AFB (now owned by Edelbrock) was a 4 barrel. The AFB stands for Aluminum Four Barrel.

Gerald:

I suggest you look

Gerald:

I suggest you look into Holley marine two barrels or rebuilt Rochesters.

Jeff

"Thanks for all your input, I

"Thanks for all your input, I rechecked my carb and right on it it say's Carter AFB. So now where can I get one of these bad boys " Cheap " would be nice. My carb doesn't have the electric choke, would I still keep it the same?.

Thanks,
Gerald."

"Hey Guy's,

From what I

"Hey Guy's,

From what I understand, the 1409 Edelbrock is for non electric choke and the 1409K is electronic, does that seen about right?. Is $ 335.00 a pretty good price for a carb, or are they cheaper else where.

Thanks again !,
Gerald."

"Everyone I've seen has an

"Everyone I've seen has an electric choke. There's nothing "electronic" about them, thank heavens!

Best price I've seen ison amazon.com: 303 bucks.

Jeff"

"Gerald, check out Jegs.com, t

"Gerald, check out Jegs.com, thats where I got my pair, 1409 electric choke & vacum secondaries, think my total bill was just over 700 bucks for the pair, including shipping to Ontario, delivered right to my front door, direct bolt on replacement, no mods needed, better starting, more power & better fuel economy"

"hi i have a remanufactured 31

"hi i have a remanufactured 318m chrysler 3yrs. less than 40 hrs.1409 edelbrock. secondarys will not open to allow the 4 barrels to open,top end is 3300rpm.1974 silverton, prop.19x13. is there a vacum somewhere that could be damaged.I can't get the fours to come in. can you help? LEO"

"Leo:
The secondaries on the

"Leo:
The secondaries on the Carter and Edelbrock carbs open by the force of the air drawn into the throat at higher RPMs. They are counter-balanced so they are normally closed, but just barely. Kind of like a chimney flue damper. No vacuum, no spring, no servo, just air flow makes them open. Are you sure you are looking at the secondaries and not the choke which is above the throttle plates? With the arrestor off you should be able to open and close them to check their operation. If they are binding you'll have to locate the obstruction and eliminate it. If they operate freely then the problem is elsewhere."

But look at the LINKAGE as you

But look at the LINKAGE as you open them (motor off and arrestor removed). That 'flip over' valve doesn't move without the motor roaring and can trick you.

The choke linkage cna keep the secondaries from opening if the choke is not all the way open (or it;s screwed up).

Jeff

"Thanks for all the great info

"Thanks for all the great info on the LM318. Bought 2 new Edelbrock 1409's from JEGS @$335 ea and am getting ready to install them on my circa 1972 engines replacing Carter AFB's. My Thermoquad manifolds require the Edelbrock #2698 adapter for 4 holes which I am getting from NAPA for $46 ea.

Question: When you drill out and tap for the PCV valve fitting, how do you keep the metal shavings from getting into the carb? Can they be removed if they get inside? Thanks!"

No problem. Just blow them aw

No problem. Just blow them away with some air pressure.

Jeff

PS: The hole doesn't go into the fuel bowl area of the carb.

"Hi thanks for the info it hel

"Hi thanks for the info it helped. I have another question, 1974 silverton sedan single engine 318 right,what size prop would you suggest to reach 4000rpm every thing else being equal"

Back