Logo

DFI OIL vs QUICKSILVER 2CYCLE OIL

l_nemes

I have a pair of 150 Optimax D

I have a pair of 150 Optimax DFI. I was told to use only DFI oil. And I have been. But after reading the back of the Quicksilver 2-cycle oil performance belnd it says that it is formulared for 2-cycle and dfi motors only. So is is safe to use the Quicksilver 2-cycle performance belnd in my DFI's?

"Louis, as long as the oil is

"Louis, as long as the oil is recommended for DFI models you should be fine.

Unlike a conventional 2 stroke in which the oil is mixed with the air/gas (a thinner to a great extent) and then sucked in through the reeds to the crank-case and ultimately the pistons, a DFI model simply mixes the oil with air and sucks that in - then the gas is injected into the cylinder through the direct injector fed by the fuel rail/standard injectors.

Because of this the oil must be able to adequately suspend with the air without the benefit of being thinned/atomized by the gas prior to arriving at the cylinder.

This has led to the development of DFI rated oils, which while inherently more expensive than regular two stroke marine oil, are absolutely necessary to provide the protection that the motor needs.

So personally I would use Merc's own brand of DFI oil (Yamaha and Evinrude DFI work on a different principal), and would also stick to their oil that is exclusive to DFI's. Ya it's over 30 bucks a gallon at most marine dealers but it's protecting about 15K worth of motor..."

Back