Logo

Sea water pump leaking HELP

1stboat

Regular Contributor
"I have a 94 5.7 VP Gi. My alt

"I have a 94 5.7 VP Gi. My alternator belt snapped off last week. I replaced it this weekend. To get it back on i had to loosen all the other belts.

While putting the sea water pump belt back on I notice water leaking from what looks like the front of the pulley.It doesn't look like its leaking from the mating surfaces of the housing. I made sure the three bolts holding the two halves together were tight as well as the two bolts hoding the pump on the bracket. We took it out yesterday and she overheated a few times while pulling a wakeboarder. If we just cruised around the lake it would be fine, running about 150-175.

I bought the boat used and don't know if or when it was last changed. From what i can tell it looks a bit old and rusty in parts. My question is are there any serviceable parts that i should look at replacing or should I replace the whole thing?

In the following link I'm talking about part #54.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/EXHAUST_COOLING/dm/view_id.311939--category_id.34 2449--qty_331985.1--viewcart.long--cart_id.822051915--session_id.662158782"

Thanks Pescador.

I took the

Thanks Pescador.

I took the water pump off yesterday. The impeller's fins are torn up and will no doubt be replaced. That wouldn't cause water to leak out of the pulley bearing would it. If so I would only need to replace the front part of the second link you posted? Volvo wants more than three hundred for the whole thing. If i can just buy the front piece and the impeller I would be happy. If just replacing the impeller will solve my problem then even better.

"1st boat, if the pump leaks b

"1st boat, if the pump leaks between the mating surfaces of the housing, you should be able to stop the leak by replacing gasket 5 on the 1st link; and if the leak is between the shaft and both the housing and the housing and shaft are OK, then I think you only need to replace the seal(s) , which is part 3 on the 1st link.

Most of those pumps have aftermarket overhaul kits available from Sierra, but you will have to do your research to find the correct one (if available)."

"Pescador, water wasn't le

"Pescador, water wasn't leaking from the mating surfaces of the two halves. It was leaking from the bolt the pulley attaches to on the front part. If that seal you mentioned was damaged, could that cause water to leak from the bolt where the pulley is attached? that would make sense to me.

As far as you know are there any servicable parts on the part the pulley is attached to? It sounds like your solution is a simple impeller and seal replacement. which is cheaper and easier than replacing the whole sea water pump. Has it been your experience that pumps go all of a sudden or is it more likely that parts go at a time and replacing them is all that is needed?

Thanks."

"1st boat, what I indicated in

"1st boat, what I indicated in my previous post was the two most common causes for a pump to leak.

Most of the pumps do have serviceable parts; ie impeller, seals, gaskets, bearings, etc. It seems like in yours the impeller kit (part 2 in the link, comprised of parts 3, 4 & 5) costs between $39 and $45 from Volvo, depending on the pump model you have. In my view, your best bet would likely be to overhaul the pump by installing a new impeller kit. This would in most cases bring your pump to a "like new" condition, and it would definitely be cheaper than buying a whole new pump."

"The pump is being taken in to

"The pump is being taken in to see a volvo mechanic today. I'll see if all I need is a new impeller and a seal. I'd rather get a professional's point of view. That is one part i do not want going out on me anywhere.

On the back end of the front piece with the pulley attached it looks like it might be close to rusting through in a few spots. The weird thing is they are equi-distant from each other and I don't know if they're meant to be grease holes maybe.

Thanks for your ideas, I'll post how it went."

Looks like it had to be replac

Looks like it had to be replaced. Oh well. Taking it out tomorrow to see how it does.

Back