Logo

1993 30L Cobra Hesitation

jmcmusicman

"I have a 1993 Chris Craft Con

"I have a 1993 Chris Craft Concept 185, 18' Bowrider with a 130 horsepower 3.0L OMC Cobra sterndrive. The problem I am having is this... very intermittently when I initially put in gear and begin to accelerate the engine will stumble/hesitate, after about 15-30 seconds of this hesitation the RPM's will begin to rise and the engine will then operate normally.

A little background on some recent repairs. On our second trip out this spring, the engine failed due to some water in the fuel...now a $500.00 tow bill, a rebuilt carb, and new fuel filter & water separator later the engine runs great, with the exception of the above issue.

Just one point of clarification the hesitation issue has occurred as long as I've owned the boat (2yrs), and does not seem to have been impacted by the water/fuel issue or the subsequent repairs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..."

Ever replaced plugs and plug w

Ever replaced plugs and plug wires? Old wires can short to ground especially under load such as getting on plane. Also could be the accelerator pump in your carb. (not likely if it was rebuilt by an expert) You can check it easily by looking down into the carburetor (with engine not running) and working the throttle. You should see a good squirt of fuel.

Is it really for 15 to 30 secs

Is it really for 15 to 30 secs or does it just seem that long? I'm wondering if somehow your ESA module is being activated when shifting into gear and the timer cuts it out which should be around 6 to 9 secs.

"I have to admit that it certa

"I have to admit that it certainly could be shorter than it feels... If that is the case, is that normal? I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of the ESA... what had me concerned was just that most times I am putting it in gear & accelerating it goes right away, but those intermittent instances when it feels like the engine is about to stall (it hasn't of course), anyway just doesn't feel right."

Back