Logo

White Smoke or Steam at Exhaust

I am running a VP AQAD41A. Eng

I am running a VP AQAD41A. Engine starts and runs perfectly however I have just started to notice a small amount of white smoke (or steam) from the exhaust at 3500rpm. Engine temp never goes over 80'C. Is this something to be concearned about?

"White smoke is sometimes caus

"White smoke is sometimes caused by water getting into the engine. Typical issue might be a leak in your intercooler etc. This may not be your case, but I would get it checked out as if it is water you will quickly cause damage."

"Thanks for the advice, I will

"Thanks for the advice, I will have the intercooler pressure tested. If it is water in the engine is there any other points I should check?"

"I have seen this a couple of

"I have seen this a couple of times on other boats and had it once on one of ours. White smoke at idle can sometimes be a 'leaky' injector, but white smoke at high revs is sometimes water which is the first sign of a potentially major issue. Water in the engine can only really be your coolant or sea water. If the coolant level is not dropping, then it must be sea water, and the most likely place for this to get into the air intake is at the aftercooler.
If you get a lot of water leaking into the air intake system you can break things as the compression gets too high once you get any siginificant water in the combustion chambers. The problem we had (which is one of common results) was burnt valves as you get salt deposits on the valve faces.
If you do find that the aftercooler is leaking I would get some more advice from a mechanic. I guess a compression test might tell you something and reassure you that all is Ok for now, but if there is any doubt I guess you will be pulling the head off. Good luck."

Back