Logo

Reversing Pawl Mechanism Spring

dansera

Contributing Member
"Hi,
I have found that the sm

"Hi,
I have found that the small spring, located on the side of the reversing pawl mechanism of my VP 290 leg,is broken. This is the spring located beneath one of the two 12mm nuts holding the major pin in place and NOT one of the two identical tension springs found on both sides of the mechanism. This spring must have been broken for a number of years, yet I never had any problems with the leg kicking up when in reverse gear.
My question is: how important is this spring for the proper function of the reversing pawl especially as it is not one of the three major springs in the pawl assembly? Also what is the function of the bracket onto which this spring is located? Finally where can I get a replacement for this spring?
Thanks,
Lawrence."

"Lawrence, I trust you argree

"Lawrence, I trust you argree with me that Volvo Penta would not install any parts that are not necessary. Of course, if you don't agree, you can always remove the parts you think are too many and see what happens.
wink.gif

Here is a link to the Sierra aftermarket spring kit. As you see, it won't break your budget replacing all the springs:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-6523&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00837.htm"

"Hi El,
agreed 100% re - all

"Hi El,
agreed 100% re - all parts installed being necessary; I was just wondering how the smaller spring could be assisting the other three which seem much tougher. Today I have had the spring made at a local supplier as I am in a bit of a rush to launch the boat next weekend (it will only be hauled out again mid September), but I will send away for the spring kit asap.
Thanks for the link."

Back