Logo

HELP my 35hp mercury is sluggish and stalls under load

greazyt

"I just bought a 1985 Mercury

"I just bought a 1985 Mercury 35hp (serial # 02999184) from a guy who said that it had a fresh tune up and good compression. It ran fine the first time i started it on the lake, but when i shut it down and started it again is when all the problems began. Now it still starts fine, but when i put it into gear and try to get up and go it acts like it is going to stall, and does if i dont get off the gas.....on the rare occasion it will get up and go, but it is a crap shoot.....i am running the proper gas mix, i have changed the plugs, and the lower unit oil, but i still have problems......Please Help.....thanks"

Have you pulled the choke or h

Have you pulled the choke or had someone pump the primer bulb while it is acting up ?

"I pump the bulb....which neve

"I pump the bulb....which never seems to get firm, and use the choke....it starts fine, it just wont get up and go...???"

Well the first thing is the bu

Well the first thing is the bulb shold pump up!

I would check all fuel lines and connections for leaks and put on a new bulb to start.

The idea of pumping the bulb or choking it while (IT IS ACTING UP) is to check if it is lacking fuel to the motor. If it seems to help youre problem youre on the right track .}

"I tried choking it while it w

"I tried choking it while it was running, and it wanted to stall right away....i also pumped the bulb while it was running, and that seemed to help.....the only thing about the bulb is that it looks like it is brand new.....should i have the boat in the water to test this or can i just hook up to the motor flush hose at my house here?"

"If pumping the fuel bulb made

"If pumping the fuel bulb made a difference that usually indicates that your fuel pump is faulty. For the few bucks it costs for a kit, it's worth rebuilding..."

Back