Logo

1972 Evinrude V4 85hp electric shift

M

Mark Vranich

" My motor started okay but do

" My motor started okay but does not power up strong as it did before. When I went to pull up my skier, at full throttle, motor would not respond strong but lags until up on plane then it seems to run smoothly but not responsive as before. Plugs were wet when I pulled them and put in older spare set just to see.(spares ran good when taken out before) Same results.Also lower unit exhaust has greasy, grayish and oily looking clumps coming out of prop. Is this unburned fuel and oil? Lower unit fluid is clean when I checked to see if this was what was coming out of prop.. Points look good and rotor contact isn't all shiny brass but has a little dullness to it when I tried to lightly file it. Any suggestions? It ran great prior to this except for a new starter and solenoid. "

"Mark.... What is the compress

"Mark.... What is the compression on that engine (all four cyls)? Also, check the spark on all cylinders (with the s/plugs out). The spark should jump 1/4" on all four (4) cylinders. The greasy, grayish and oily looking clumps you state that are coming out of the exhaust section at the prop doesn't sound good. Was this substance on any of the spark plugs?

Joe
"

" Joe, thanks for the promt re

" Joe, thanks for the promt reply. The substance wasn't on any of the plugs. They were just wet. I'll check the spark and have someone check the compression as I am just a novice at this. I'm taking the boat out this weekend to see if any of the adjustments I've made has helped. I'll get back to you on this. Thanks. "

" Joe, started motor before ta

" Joe, started motor before taking out with muffs on and wouldn't start. pulled plug on bottom left and got spark but cranked again without plug in cylinder and it spit fluid. left the hose on and plug out and water came out of plug hole. I did hit concrete boat ramp prior and motor stopped dead, did I blow a seal out or could there be other damage that this could have caused when I hit ramp. Could the oily substance be from the water and unburned fuel coming out of the prop. Where do I go from here and what else do I check for damage? "

"Mark.... I don't know wha

"Mark.... I don't know what damage you may have done when you hit the ramp, but having water come out the s/plug hole is bad news and demands immediate attention! Disconnect the water hose, remove all of the s/plugs. Pump up the fuel primer bulb and set the choke on full choke manually!

Remove the 12v wire that supplys power to the powerpack when the ignition switch is on. You DO NOT WANT ignition, sparking to occur when you do the following as it could catch fire!

Crank the engine until the fuel oil mixture flows out the s/plug holes freely. What you are doing here is pumping the water out of the crankcase, and saturating the bearings, crankshaft, rods, cyl walls etc etc with the fuel/oil mixture to avoid rusting.

Now, clean up that mess, take a compression ceck, then remove the cylinder heads to inspect for blown head gaskets and whatever may exist as a problem there which would let water enter the crankcase.

Joe
"

" Joe, checked the head gasket

" Joe, checked the head gasket on the number 2and 4 cylinders. You were right, blown head gasket. Should I check thermostat and check impeller to see if this caused problem? Was the oily,greasy substance from the cylinder with blown gasket or from some other source? You comments are appreciated. "

"Mark.... I'd suspect that

"Mark.... I'd suspect that the substance was a direct result of having a blown head gasket, which probably blew due to not being torqued properly...18 to 20 foot pounds torqued in this sequence:

Leave the thermostat and water pump as is for now. Run the engine first. If the cooling system is normal, leave it be. That's a judgement call that will be up to you.

Joe
"

" Joe, motor running great. I

" Joe, motor running great. I'm interested in knowing where I can obtain a power trim and tilt unit for this motor and how much it would cost. Looking forward to a reply. "

"Mark.... Unfortunately I have

"Mark.... Unfortunately I haven't kept up with the add on items of engines going back that far. However, I've seen posts from others who have. Hopefully they will jump in here to help you out with that request. You could also (using the hyperlinks at the left of this page run a search (Keyword Search) which would pull up anything and everything pertaining to say PTT, Tilt, trim, etc, you get the idea.... and also the classified ads. Glad to hear your engine problem is solved. Good luck.

Joe
"

Re: "Mark.... Unfortunately I have

I have a 85 hp EVINRUDE just like yours, I was looking in Cabelas catalog for a tilt & Trim and saw a CMC power trim made for that HP, so I called around to several repair shops and found one $100.00 cheaper than Cabelas, and put it on myself with an engine hoist, the CMC power lift comes with every thing you need. I have had this on my motor for three years now and it works great.

Back