Logo

New Boater Pls help W b86 125 force

86cobra

"Hey I'm new to the whole

"Hey I'm new to the whole boating thing and I went out and bought a 1986 Bayliner Cobra W/ a 125 force. The boat and motor are both exceptionally clean and were kept indoors since 86. The Guy I bought it from purchased the boat from the original owner last spring.

So I took it out for a shakedown run (previous owner said he had no problems with it) And some issues arose.

When i first got it into the water it ran great, I let it warm up, and hit a top speed of about 47mph. One strange thing i noticed it when i was priming it, the bulb never got hard. After about 10 minutes I was crusing around at 85% throttle, and it just shut off. Started right back up and ran fine. 5 mins later I dropped anchor, shut off the motor and raised it out of the water. I fished for about an hour, then i pulled up the anchor, lowered the motor and started it. When i moved the throttle foreward and it went into gear, it died. This happened about 5 more times. Sometimes it would die without even putting it into gear. Finally i raised the prop out of the water (water inlet holes still submerged) started it, put it in gear, gave it a little throttle, and lowered the motor into the water. it kept running.

Ran fine for a bit, then shut off at about 90% throttle. Wouldnt crank for a minute, then cranked and started, but died when put in gear. I had to start it the same way i did before (prop just out of the water, put in gear, give a lil throttle, then lower prop into water). I then cruised to another fishing spot, and shut off the motor for about 30 mins.

Next i had to start it prop out of water, then i was cruising along at about 30 mph for a few minutes when it died again. Cycled the key and the overhead buzzer was going off. Finally after a few minutes i got it started and the buzzer was off, but now the motor felt like it was running at half power. It wouldnt go above a couple thousand RPM. (safety feature after overheat??) Anyway, I chugged it on to the trailer and that was it for the day.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but have never worked on an outboard or a carbed engine before. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The guy I bought it from said the prev. owner changed the water pump before it was sold to him. (about 1.5 years ago) I'm not sure where my problems are coming from (high speed stall, dying at idle, overheat buzzer, only operating at 1/2 power after overheat)

Please help!
-Jason
happy.gif
"

replace the fuel lines and pri

replace the fuel lines and primer bulb
replace fuel pump
rebuild carbs

you have a fueling issue

Back