Logo

What to check when buying a boat with a Mercruiser

enginesilo

Contributing Member
"I am totally new to inboard/o

"I am totally new to inboard/outboards having only owned outboards, and jet ski 2 stoke's. I like to maintain my own boats and jet ski's, and wanted to see if you all can share some things to check when shopping for a boat with an inboard/outboard mercruiser?

The current I am shopping is a Searay 175 which has the 3.0LX engine with the Alpha One Drive.

What are some things to check when shopping for a boat with this engine?

1.) What should the compression read?
2.) Check for leaky gaskets
3.) Check for excessive rusting
4.) Check Oils to see if changed regularly (even though this could be thrown off with a fresh change)

Are there any tricks or scenario's of shifting the boat from neutral, into drive, and into reverse that I should be following to see if it is functioning properly?

What else should I be checking for? Help me build a list of things to check. Any tips appreciated to help me buy a good boat and reliable engine."

"1 surveyor`s report
2 a wate

"1 surveyor`s report
2 a water test for 1 hr.
3 transom test for any rot
comp no-less than 110, water leaks during the in-water test, proper operation of controls, gauges,overall operation. whining,vibration,excessive drive noise."

"Thanks for the details so far

"Thanks for the details so far!

What exactly is a Surveyor's Report?

What is a transom test? is that the actual hull transom?

Here are some more questions pertaining to a 1996 3.0LX with an Alpha One Drive.

What should the Thermostat temperature read? In water reading, on hose cooling reading?

What should the engine rev up to? RPM's

How much should the oil pressure guage read?

Alpha One Drive checking?
Are there any seals or bearings that could be checked?

How do I check the bellow? How can you tell if it is needed or is bad?
----
Is 160 hours on this engine a lot?"

"Surveyor's Report? It is

"Surveyor's Report? It is a written statement of an inspection findings from a professional including the entire boat, engine and OD.

Transom test? is that the actual hull transom? Checking for wood rot within the stern's fiberglass sandwich.

Here are some more questions pertaining to a 1996 3.0LX with an Alpha One Drive.

Thermostat temperature read? 160 F. for a closed fresh water cooled 3.0L/LX ALPHA ONE ENGINE

Engine rev up to? 4400 - 4800 RPM's

Oil pressure guage read? 30 - 60 PSI

Alpha One Drive checking? Are there any seals or bearings that could be checked? Gimbal bearing noise, U-joint noise, strong vibrations.

How do I check the bellow? How can you tell if it is needed or is bad? Get on your back w/a flashlight at the outer stern and turn the OD from side-to-side and up. You'll see 3 bellows and one water hose. Look for cracks or checking from dryrot on the bellows and same for the hose including kinks and swelling. Big money for dealer replacement; change all at the same time.
----
Is 160 hours on this engine a lot? Not for a 1996; it equates to 13.3 hrs. use per season unless it sat for a few."

Thanks for the specific detail

Thanks for the specific details!

How much does a Surveyor's report usually run? Would I find a local certified Mercruiser mechanic and go from there?

Back